My sermon notes for Sunday morning, April 5th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as we walk through the Word each week. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
Isaiah 9:8-10:34 – Favor in the midst of Judgment
The invasion is on the horizon. Judgment looms upon God’s people, yet there is a promise of favor.
- Syria (Damascus) will fall
- Israel (northern kingdom) will fall
- Assyria will fall
- Judah (southern kingdom) will fall, yet a remnant will remain.
God will provide a “remnant that will lean on Him” 10:20. Our hope today is in that same promise of favor. I a day with so much uncertainty, we can be certain that God has provided a way… that we also may LEAN ON HIM.
9:8 – 10:4 – Judgment on Israel
- vv. 8-12 – Pride throughout the land. Capital cities tend to be the “hotspot.”
- vv. 13-17 – impacts both the leaders and the “insignificant.” Permeates the entire society.
- vv. 18-21 – wickedness unchecked spreads like a wildfire. COLUMN OF SMOKE.
- vv. 10:1-4 – The ruling class designed laws that went against the “law of God”
10:5-19 – Judgment on Assyria
- vv. 5-11 – God uses “tools” to implement His wrath/judgment.
- They have their motives. God has His motives.
- v. 12 – a theological overview of this section. HIS WORK IS FINISHED. HE WILL PUNISH.
- Man’s ARROGANT heart.
- vv. 13-14 – The words of the Assyrian leader demonstrate his arrogance in his own wisdom and strength.
- vv. 15-19 – Yet, they were just a TOOL in the hands of God. God will strike them down. As SICK PERSON with a disease. A FORREST being cut down.
Truths to embrace:
- Evil will only prosper for a season.
- God uses the unregenerate of the world to carry out His purposes and plan.
- The most powerful are nothing without God.
- ALL IS NOT LOST. GOD HAS A REMNANT
The Remnant – 10:20-34 – THE LORD’S REMNANT
The people of the remnant – VV. 20-21
Those that LEAN OF THE LORD – v. 20
- HOLY ONE
- in TRUTH
Will return to MIGHTY GOD – v. 21
- Isaiah 9:6
- They are His. His covenant people.
The God of the remnant – vv. 22-23
DESTRUCTION DECREED, overflowing with RIGHTEOUSNESS – v. 22
- The remnant will lean on the Lord, yet all these things have been decreed from the Lord.
FOR THE LORD OF GOD OF HOSTS WILL MAKE A FULL END, AS DECREED. – v. 23
The promises to this remnant – vv. 24-34
All knowing. All wise. All good. All righteous.
DO NOT BE AFRAID. – v. 24
My FURY WILL COME TO AN END – v. 25
Remember his faithfulness – v. 26
- LORD OF HOSTS (God of the armies of heaven)
- MIDIAN. OREB. THE SEA
Trust His justice – 27
- Judgment, yet deliverance.
- YOKE was his judgment from Assyria, yet the yoke will be broken and God will judge Assyria.
Bask in His glory – v. 34
- FALL BY THE MAJESTIC ONE
Truths to embrace:
- God is an all powerful, all wise, all loving, and all righteous.
- His ways are not our ways and there are many things we will never understand.
- WE CAN TRUST HIM.
- Remember – God chose Noah and spared his family the flood
- Remember – God chose Abraham and gave him Isaac
- Remember – How God chose Jacob over Esau.
- Remember – How God spared Jacob’s son Judah (through Joseph in Egypt) and chose him to be the lineage for King David.
- Remember – How God choose and spared David
- REMEMBER HOW JESUS CAME AS OUR KING…from the lineage of DAVID.
- Romans 8:35–39 –  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”  No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,  nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (ESV)
- Regardless of the circumstances around us… we need to BELIEVE ON, COME TO, TRUST IN, LIVE FOR, AND FOLLOW AFTER JESUS CHRIST.
- Then we come to understand we are SET APART AS A HOLY REMNANT UNTO THE LORD.
Monergism.com – A great theological library.
https://www.monergism.com/scripture (click on Isaiah)
Grace To You – Pastor John MacArthur
Bible.org – Allen Ross