Isaiah 11:1-16 – The Rule and Reign of the Righteous King
- Remember Ahaz’s faithlessness from Chp. 7
- Chps. 8-11 is the outworking of this faithless King.
- 10:33-34 – the downed trees of judgment. God will judge Assyria, Israel, and Judah.
- As Isaiah prophesies against the people of Israel and Judah he again points to the coming Messiah. In Chp. 9 he spoke of His incarnation. Here in Chp. 11 he speaks of the 2nd coming. When He ultimately will make ALL THINGS NEW.
- He has promised a remnant. A people that will know Him and worship Him.
- The already and the not yet…We can know this Righteous King now but will not totally experience this perfect peace until later.
The rise of His reign – v. 1
The stump is the felled Davidic House
- Jesse, the father of David
This shoot…from the roots. The beginning and the end.
- God’s redemptive plan
The uniqueness of His character– vv. 2-3
Endowed with the Spirit (qualities of a divine King)
- Different than earthly leaders
- David – 1 Sam. 16:13. He was anointed by Samuel.
- Jesus at His Baptism – It was unique and different
- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
The qualities of the Divine King
- Wisdom and Understanding
- Counsel and Might
- Knowledge and Fear of the Lord
HIS DELIGHT SHALL BE IN FEAR OF THE LORD
- Because of His divine qualities He possesses a perfect since of love, obedience, and worship in regards to the Father.
- It is a picture of the type of relationship we can have today as we allow the Spirit to dwell in and control our life.
- OBEDIENCE. DEVOTION. WORSHIP….and our decisions and manner of life GO HAND AND HAND.
The justice of His rule – vv. 3-5
He will not judge by what He sees or decide disputes by what He hears.
He will not rule like earthly men but will rule with a heavenly justice. He will judge according to God’s perfect will
- Equity – straight, fair.
- Rod – power and authority
- Mouth and Breath of Lips – Divine Word of God
- Thus saith the Lord
- Belt – prepared for action. Entering the battle with truth. Eph. 6:14
The peace of His kingdom – vv. 6-9
A picture of natural enemies at peace with one another – vv. 6-8
- The coming Messiah will make all things news.
- 2 Cor. 5:17-20 – New Creations. From the inside out.
“for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea” v. 9
- The peace of the Garden of Sin, before the sin of Adam and Eve.
The restoration of His people – vv. 10-16
In that Day – vv. 10 & 11
- At His second coming
Second time – v. 11
- First was the Exodus from Egypt.
He will raise a signal – v. 12
- Flag in combat. Giving orders. NOW IS THE TIME.
- The banner is CHRIST
He will bring Jew and Gentile (Paul quotes this verse Rom. 15:12)
- From the four corners of the earth. – v. 12
- East and the West – v. 14
- Gentile and Jew. World. Universal in nature.
Judah and Israel v. 14
- Peace as God’s people. Restoration of Peace.
Philistines…others – v. 14
- No longer oppressed by enemies
Sea, River, Channels – v. 15
- Just as from Egypt the will cross with Sandals
Provide a holy highway – v. 16
- God will provide the WAY
- Part the seas
- Provide a Holy Highway….
John 14:6 – I am the way…
We live in the already and not yet.
We have not yet experienced the 2nd coming of Christ, but we have now the opportunity to come to Christ and BEGIN TO LIVE AS A NEW CREATION. UNDER THE RULE AND REIGN OF THIS RIGHTEOUS KING.
Colossians 1:15–20 –  He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.  For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.  And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.  And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.  For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,  and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.