Wed in the Word – Acts 2:42-47, Acts 11:19-26
Deliberate Church – The Roles of the Different Gatherings
In Chapter 9 Pastor Dever shares his understanding of their different church gatherings and the role each one of them plays in the big picture of church health. He uses the analogy of proper eating habits and the role the food groups play in our overall physical health.
- Adult education hour – Equipping time
- Sunday Morning – Feeding time
- Sunday Evening – Family time
- Wed Evening – Study time
As we think through these things let’s consider Scripture and the early Church.
Acts 1:14 – One accord
Acts 2:1 – All together
- Preaching – vv. 40-41
- Balance in their spiritual growth – vv.42
- God honoring worship – v. 43
- Understanding and acknowledging who God is.
- Building of Christian relationships – vv. 44-46a
- Reaching their community with the Gospel – vv. 46b-47
- Proclaimed the Gospel – vv. 19-22
- Build one another up – vv. 23-26
- First Called Christians
Applying what we have learned
The church was ONE. (All In)
Why do we look at church so differently in our current culture? (mega church target group…once every 4 weeks… 13 times a year)
IT STARTS WITH A PROPER MINDSET
When did we lower the expectations of what it meant to know, love, and follow after Christ?
- If we are going to do it…then let’s all do it
- IT IS OK TO BE DIFFERENT.
IT STARTS WITH OUR LEADERSHIP
- We should expect more (the best) from our leaders.
- Staff, Deacons, Teachers, Committee Members
Church is not about YOU…It is about US
- Some the reasons I have heard people leave a church.
While numbers may be important the task of disciple making is the key
- We are consumed with NUMBERS, but rarely consider the TASK of MAKING DISCIPLES.
- Mile wide…inch deep. More is not better.
Ministries and Activities are not the same thing.
- Spiritual Purpose
- Churches seem to do more “building relationship activities”
MINISTRIES SHOULD BE IN PLACE TO ENCOURAGE BELIEVERS
- Know the Bible more accurately
- Live the Christian life more faithfully
Each member should be involved with ALL our MINISTRIES because our MINISTRIES are in place to encourage HEALTHY SPIRITUAL GROWTH.
- Are we here to feed the sheep or amuse the goats – Spurgeon.
Where one sets the bar will be what they attract.