My sermon notes for Sunday morning, June 7th . Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as we walk through the Word each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
2 Thessalonians 2:1–12 – “Our Hope in the Day of the Lord” part 2
An overview of vv. 1-12
Coming and Gathering – v. 1
Don’t be shaken, alarmed or deceived – vv. 2-3a
Day will not come until – vv. 3b-4
- Rebellion comes (apostacy)
- Man of lawlessness is revealed (1 John – Antichrist)
- Son of destruction
- Opposes and exalts himself against every god
- Proclaims to be God
Remember the Word/What you have been told – v. 5
He is being restrained – vv. 6-7
- Church, Holy Spirit, Michael (Dan. 10-12)
When he is revealed then he will be judged – 8
He is sent by Satan – v. 9a
His followers are deceived and condemned because they do not embrace the truth – vv. 9b-12
- Power – false signs and wonders
- Deception – twisting the truth
A Few Things to Consider:
- Bible believing Christians have different views of the “details” of the second coming. (see digging deeper section for terms)
- As we study the Bible you begin to realize that God did not give us all the specifics, so therefore we just do not know everything we wish we did.
- Your end time views will impact more of just what you think takes place at the end, but also how you read and interpret scripture. (ex. Me not dispensational, but Christocentric)
- I personally love to study it and talk about it, but I am not going to let the “end times” doctrine be a hill I am going to die on.
- Yet, clearly taught truth from the Word of God is a hill we will die on every day of our life!
Last Things – Baptist Faith and Message
God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth; the dead will be raised; and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. The unrighteous will be consigned to Hell, the place of everlasting punishment. The righteous in their resurrected and glorified bodies will receive their reward and will dwell forever in Heaven with the Lord.
Isaiah 2:4; 11:9; Matthew 16:27; 18:8-9; 19:28; 24:27,30,36,44; 25:31-46; 26:64; Mark 8:38; 9:43-48; Luke 12:40,48; 16:19-26; 17:22-37; 21:27-28;John 14:1-3; Acts 1:11; 17:31; Romans 14:10; 1 Corinthians 4:5; 15:24-28,35-58; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Philippians 3:20-21; Colossians 1:5; 3:4; 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18; 5:1ff.; 2 Thessalonians 1:7ff.; 2; 1 Timothy 6:14; 2 Timothy 4:1,8; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 9:27-28; James 5:8; 2 Peter 3:7ff.; 1 John 2:28; 3:2; Jude 14; Revelation 1:18; 3:11; 20:1-22:13.
5 Main Themes of the Second Coming
50 Core Truths of the Christian Faith. Gregg R. Allison
- At His first coming, Jesus dealt with sin
- At his second coming, Christ will bring ultimate salvation
- Christ will return personally, bodily, suddenly, and triumphantly.
- Though God has determined the time of the second coming, human beings cannot know it.
- There are two key debates:
- Whether the second coming will be preceded by the rapture of the church before the great tribulation.
- The relationship of Christ’s return to the millennium.
What takes place before the “Coming of the Lord”
Matthew 24:1-44, Mark 13:1-36
- Preaching of the Gospel to all nations
- The great tribulation
- False prophets working signs and wonders
- Signs in the heavens
- The coming of the man of lawlessness – 2 Thess 2:1-10
- Salvation of the nation of Israel – Romans 11:25-26
- Read, study, and meditate on the Word of God.
- Obtain study helps (books, lectures)
- Trust God for the things that He has control of.
- Live your life based on what you have control of.
- Be people of Hope (Confident expectation in God’s fulfillment of His promises)
- Be people of Passion
- Be people of Purpose
- Be people on Mission
Key Theological Terms to Study
- Covenant Theology
- New Covenant Theology
- Christocentric Theology
Go to www.pastorjonbeck.com for books to purchase
- Click on Reading List and Bookstore
- Then scroll down to Theological Reference Books
- New Dictionary of Theology – Edited By: Sinclair B. Ferguson, David F. Wright, J.I. Packer
- Biblical Doctrine: A Systematic Summary of Bible Truth – John MacArthur & Richard Mayhue
- Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine – Wayne Grudem (book we utilized a few years ago on Sunday Nights)
- The Moody Handbook of Theology
Articles to read
Comparing Dispensationalism, Covenant, and New Covenant Theology – John Piper Article (short article that give insight to each theological view)
Comparing Covenant Theology and Dispensational Theology