My sermon/teaching notes for Wednesday, July 15th. Our current Wednesday Summer Series is WHY I LOVE BELONGING TO THE CHURCH. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
What does it mean to be Baptist?
Things I hear today:
- Doctrine is not important
- What we believe is VERY IMPORTANT. What we believe about God, Jesus, the Bible, Salvation, and etc….IS VERY IMPORTANT.
- It does not matter where you go to church as long as you go.
- Just because it is a church does not mean it is a REAL GOSPEL PREACHING AND BIBLE BELIEVING church. NOT ALL CHURCHES ARE THE SAME.
- I am a Baptist preacher because I believe what a good Baptist church believes is biblical (right and true)
- There are important theological truths that need to be considered when we think about different denominations and faiths.
- Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Church of Christ, Assembly of God, and etc.
- We need to know what our church believes and why we are different from the others. IF WE ATTEND A CHURCH WE DEFINITELY NEED TO KNOW WHAT THEY BELIEVE.
- You do not have to be a Baptist to be a Christian (my family has many Methodists and Presbyterians throughout)
- Yet, I do have issues with some of the beliefs that are held within other churches. THAT IS WHY I AM A BAPTIST.
- They key is having a biblical understanding of what it is that you do believe and worshiping and serving in a church that also believes that way.
These are Biblical Convictions that Baptist Hold.
The Bible is our authority 2 Timothy 3:16
- The Bible is the infallible inspired word of God.
- A good Baptist church is a church grounded on the Word.
- Go to Pastorjonbeck.com (topical studies – Scripture/Bible for more info on Scripture)
Believers baptism – Matthew 28:19-20
- Baptism is a symbolic act of obedience that one does after their conversion experience to show everyone what they believe.
- No saving power. Romans 10:8-10. One is only saved through Repentance and Faith. THE GOSPEL SAVES!
- It demonstrates our old life being buried with Christ and our new life in Him. Romans 6:1-8
Priesthood of believers – 1 Peter 2:4-10
- We do not need anyone to “get” us to God.
- We need no mediator to obtain His knowledge, presence, provision, or forgiveness.
- The same Holy Spirit that the New Testament Church received is there to empower us in our lives.
- We should use the spiritual disciplines to help us grow closer to God in our daily lives. (Bible study, prayer, worship, etc.)
Salvation by grace through faith Ephesians 2:1-10
5 Solas (pastorjonbeck.com – Topical Studies)
- Scripture Alone
- Grace Alone
- Faith Alone
- Christ Alone
- God’s Glory Alone
- Our works or good deeds will never save us. It is only the forgiveness of sins through Jesus that will.
- Not programs, personalities nothing but the Gospel message can save someone. BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH.
- Believe it
- Preach and teach like you believe it
- Live like you believe it