My sermon/teaching notes for Wednesday, Aug. 19th. Our current Wednesday Summer Series is THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Matthew 5:13–16 – The Witness of a Disciple – Our Influence
You are the Salt of the Earth
 “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.
- Salt was a precious commodity.
- Our life. Our relationship with Christ. The call on our life. IS A PRECIOUS COMMODITY.
- To enhance flavor.
- Our life should bring Gospel zeal and excitement for Christ (not bland)
- Keep from decay.
- As we live out the truth we are preventing the moral decay of society.
A salt with no taste… has no value.
- If we are not being the salt of the earth… WHAT VALUE DO WE HAVE. REMEMBER, the Great Commission!!!!
You are the Light of the World
 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (ESV
You are the light of the world
- We are the means by which the Gospel is shared to the ends of the earth.
- We are to go as fishers of men – Matt. 4
- We are to go and make disciples – Matt. 28
Cannot be hidden
- Christians should live their life wanting to Illuminate and Expose (be the Light)
- Just as visible as city on a hill is seen by all… our Christian life should be seen by all.
- 2 Cor. 2:14-17 – Aroma unto life and death,
Not under a basket, but on a stand
- We should be intentional to be a witness.
- Intentional to holiness
- Intentional in relationships
- Intentional in evangelism
- Intentional in discipleship
- Others may see and Give glory to God
- Our witness should not point people to us BUT TO HIM
Truths to consider
- God is sovereign
- We must understand He is working behind the scenes. We must believe in divine appointments (Peter & Cornelius-Acts 10)\
- Remember that He will save…not you
- Realize you are an ambassador for Christ (every believer is)
- The task we have been given is to Pray, Share, and Encourage to Respond
- We must be properly motivated
- We must have a theology of lostness…without Christ one is dead in their trespasses and sin.
- We must have a spirit of passion and enthusiasm
- We must believe in the power of the message…the Gospel. It is not my presentation that converts. It is the Gospel that saves.
- We must be intentional
- Building relationships with those in our personal network
- Expose them to the Gospel. (Tracts, Our Testimony, CDs, Books, Church, Church website, and the BIBLE)
- We must not be a stumbling block
- Your witness should match your walk
- An attitude of EXCELLENCE IN ALL THINGS (My lifestyle reflects the greatness of God)
- Your home & Your Church should reflect this principle