My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug. 30th as we walk through the book of Deuteronomy. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- The beginning of the second address/sermon. (4:44-26:19)
- “What does God expect of His People”
- 4:44-11:32 are General Stipulations. 12:1-26:19 – More Specific Stipulations.
The Importance of the Law – vv. 4:44-5:5
These are the testimonies, statutes, and the rules – v. 4:45
Hear, Learn, careful to do – vv. 1
The Lord our God made a covenant with us – v. 2
- The five covenants of scripture.
- Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, and New Covenant (new – Jeremiah 31:31-34, Luke 22:14-23)
- Seize what your parents did not
- They refused to listen
- Hear, believe, and accept (only when we accept God’s Word does one experience true change of attitude and action.
- Obey – Blessing. Disobedience – Judgement/Discipline. John 15:1-11
The Law and its Purpose – vv. 5:6-21
- The Ten Commandments – Exodus 20:1-17
- The basis of the relationship between the redeemed
- and their redeemer
- and their community
- The law was not given for them to be “saved” they were already “saved”.
- Obedience was the evidence that they did belong to God.
- The Old Covenant is like the New…it is based on faith. If they truly believed and place their faith in who God was and what He was call in them to do…then they would obey …TO OBEY IS TO PLACE ONE’S TRUST IN THE PROMISES OF GOD. Roman 4:3
- When the law was broken, then the sacrificial system was in place to make temporary atonement through blood for one’s transgressions.
- God’s commandments are given TO SET HIS PEOPLE APART from the rest of the World. Then and now. 1 Peter 2:9
- To show His love for His People and for His people to show their love to Him. (I HEAR, I BELIEVE, I TRUST, I LOVE, I FOLLOW) John 14:15
- DO NOT OVER THINK THE 10 COMMANDMENTS …Summed up here!!!!!. Matt. 22:37-40 (THAT SIMPLE)
The Character of the Giver of the Law – vv. 5:22-33
These are the words the LORD spoke…In the midst of the fire, cloud, darkness with a loud voice – v. 22
Behold , the Lord our God has shown us His glory and greatness, – v. 24
You shall be careful therefore to do as the Lord your God has commanded you. You shall not turn aside to the right hand or the left. You shall walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, that YOU MAY LIVE, and THAT IT MAY GO WELL WITH YOU, and THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG IN THE LAND THAT YOU SHALL POSSESS.- vv. 32 – 33
- It is an expression of the heart and character of God. They not only showed God’s desire for His people, but also who God is.
- Mount Sinai God revealed to them His greatness and glory.
- Fire, cloud, darkness, lightning and His Word
- The majesty and authority of God and His Word.
- Moses is reminding them to REMEMBER and RESPECT
- Psalm 119:16
Then as today. We need to be a people that HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD and because of our relationship WE LIVE IN THE MIDST OF THIS GREAT RELATIONSHIP.
- Loving Him
- Trusting in Him
- Following after Him
- Living consecrated unto Him
Jeremiah 31:31–34 –  “Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,  not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the LORD.  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (ESV)
Luke 22:14–23 –  And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him.  And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.  For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”  And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves.  For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”  And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”  And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.  But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table.  For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed!”  And they began to question one another, which of them it could be who was going to do this. (ESV)
John 15:1–11 –  “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you.  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.  As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.  These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. (ESV)
Romans 4:3 – For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” (ESV)
1 Peter 2:9–10 –  But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.  Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. (ESV)
John 14:15–17 –  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,  even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. (ESV)
Matthew 22:34–40 –  But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together.  And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him.  “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”  And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the great and first commandment.  And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.  On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (ESV)
Psalm 119:16 – I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. (ESV)