My sermon/teaching notes for Wednesday, Sept. 9th. Our current Wednesday Series is THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Matthew 5:27–30 – Lust and Purity
The Act of Adultery – v. 27
 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
- Do not have sex outside the will and desire of the Lord.
- Outside the covenant relationship of marriage.
- God created sex and God protects sex.
- A gift from God…for our good and His glory.
- Satan’s tactic is to use what God says and turns it into a lie
1 Corinthians 6:15–20 –  Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!  Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”  But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.  Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,  for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (ESV)
The Desire of the Heart – v. 28
 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- The Law Says….But Christ was more concerned with the reason behind the act, not just the act itself. (WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO)
- LOOKS – glare, A look to feed a sinful desire…LUST
- A WILLFUL LOOK. A look with an intent.
- The look can lead to the act, but the look is not the act.
- 2 Sam. 11:1-4 – David and Bathsheba.
- As we feed the appetite it will lead to an action.
The Spiritual Transformation – v. 29-20
 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.  And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
- Be aware
- Of you – Self examination. IS MY HEART CLEAN. AM I CLOSE TO THE LORD. AM I PRACTICING THE DAILY DISCIPLINES.
- Of your surroundings (what we feed will grow…good and bad)
- John 17:15–19 –  I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.  And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. (ESV)
- Be intentional
- 1 Corinthians 9:24–27 –  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (ESV)
- Be Radical (Sacrificial) (WHATEVER IT TAKES)
- Sacrificing something for the whole.
- Count and Consider the cost
- Deal with it immediately
The solution to sexual sin is not external because the problem does not start externally. It starts in the heart, so the ultimate solution is internal… the HEART.