My sermon/teaching notes for Wednesday, Sept. 30th Our current Wednesday Series is THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net
Matthew 5:38-48 – “Sacrifice & Love”
Retaliation & Personal Sacrifice – vv. 38-42
Hatred & Love of Enemies – vv. 43 – 48
- THE OLD FOCUS ON the action itself.
- THE NEW FOCUSES ON the Attitude that produces the action
- The heart. Get the heart right and the actions will follow
INSTEAD OF RETALIATION
This principle was in place to promote fair treatment when wrong had been done, but overtime it was used to condone retaliation and seeking out revenge.
- Ex. 31:23-35 –  But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life,  eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,  burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. (ESV)
Turn the other cheek – v. 39
- VERY HARD TO DO…BUT JESUS IS OUR EXAMPLE
- This does not mean that if physically attacked we cannot defend ourselves, but rather the slap on the cheek refers to an insult
- REMAIN HUMBLE, GENTLE.
- Do not act out of anger and revenge.
- 1 Peter 2:20–23 –  For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God.  For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.  He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth.  When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. (ESV)
Give up your coat – v. 40
- At that time, you would go to court and the court could put your possessions as the fine.
- Give up something valuable in order to right a wrong
Go the extra mile – v. 41
- Roman soldiers were allowed ask citizens to carry their gear (they were very much disliked for this)
- Go even further that you were asked.
Go and lend to those that ask – v. 42
- Be willing to let go of your things.
- Remember, all we have is a gift from God.
INSTEAD OF HATE
Love your enemies and pray for those that persecute you – v.44
- Agape – A doing love, not a feeling love
- Pray for
- We stop hating someone when we begin to pray for them.
- SO MANY WAYS WE CAN LOOK AT THIS….
So that we will grow and mature as sons of the Father – v. 45
- As we respond biblically we grow and mature
Our life will be a Christlike testimony to others – vv. 46-47
- What an incredible time to be A TESTIMONY TO THE GOSPEL
- So many believers today are so vicious and mean spirited.
SO THAT WE MAY BE PERFECT (COMPLETE) – v. 48
- All that God would have us to be
- All that God is expecting us to be
- LOVE, HOLD FAST, BE FERVENT, SERVE THE LORD, REJOICE IN HOPE, BE PATIENT, BE CONSTANT, CONTRIBUTE, BLESS, REJOICE, WEEP, LIVE IN HARMONY & LIVE PEACEABLY WITH ALL
Romans 12:9–21 –  Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.  Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.  Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.  Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.  Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.  Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.  Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.  If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.  Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”  To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (ESV)