My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Oct. 11th as we walk through the book of Deuteronomy. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Deuteronomy 5:17 – Thou Shall Not Murder
Murder – The taking of innocent life
- Merriam-Webster – to kill (a human being) unlawfully and with premeditated malice
The sixth commandment requires that we honor human life.
- God is the giver of life and only He has the right to take it.
- Because we are made in the image of God, murder is an attack against God. Gen. 1:26-27; 9:6
- Who He is
- What He has done
- What He is doing
- His purpose and His ways
- This does not include: (Key Word is INNOCENT)
- Self Defense
- Capital Punishment
- Does include death caused by irresponsible actions or lack of action.
- Doing or not doing what is responsible to prevent unnecessary death
- Example…Leaving a loaded gun out. Laws requiring fences around pools.
Abortion – Psalm 139:13
- Yes, we should have a choice with our bodies
- The argument is…NO ONE SHOULD TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO. Usually this refers to the govt.
- Being controlled by the govt. is not at stake here. THE TAKING OF AN INNOCENT LIFE IS.
Suicide – Taking one’s own life.
- Many things are at stake here. – Mental, Physical, Spiritual
- I personally believe a true believer can commit suicide. It is not the unpardonable sin. Just as any believer can commit any other sin. Yet, suicide is not the way to deal with life and the issues surrounding life.
PLEASE LOOK AT AND LEARN FROM THESE 2 SOURCES.
Understanding and Dealing with Suicide (video and notes)
A Christian response to suicide and suicidal thoughts.
Euthanasia – To assist in the taking of the life of others in a dire situation.
- DOES NOT MEAN – Letting someone pass in peace and dignity.
- Stopping the treatment. Quality of days rather than quantity.
A SHARPER FOCUS OF THE COMMANDMENT – THE LAW OF CHRIST
- THE MOSAIC LAW says
- THE LAW OF CHRIST says
Matt: 5:21-26 – Jesus said that at the heart of Murder is Anger
- Examine our heart. What are our idols. What get us irritated and angry.
- Insults, You fool v. 22
- WE BETTER BE CAREFUL…We are making accusations against someone created in the image of God.
- Remember, we are not God. We do not know someone’s heart, mind, or motives
OUR RESPONSE (NOT ONE OF MURDER, BUT RECONCILIATION)
- Instead of being mad and angry
- Go and Reconcile
- YOU GO…and MAKE RIGHT
4 G’s – The Peace Maker – Ken Sande
- Glorify God – Everything we do as Christians should be for God’s glory. Without this motivation, our efforts at reconciliation will not be effective. 1 Cor. 10:13
- Get the log out of your eye – We must deal with our own heart before confronting someone else about their sin. If we skip this we will only attack one another. Matt. 7:5
- Gently restore – Peacemaking is about restoring the relationship and not pursuing human, sinful justice. This requires patience because people do not see their faults immediately. Gal. 6:1
- Go and be reconciled – We forgive those who wronged us and commit ourselves to restore the damaged relationship. Matt. 5:24
- We will stand in judgement then, based on how we live NOW.
- We know murder is wrong and must be punished
- Jesus says that within the heart…which leads to murder IS ALSO WRONG.