My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Nov 15th as we walk through the book of Deuteronomy. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Deuteronomy 6:1–9 – “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one”
- (Chapter 5) Moses has finished the reading of the 10 Commandments. God then instructs Moses to listen…then share with the people all the law and commandments.
- He now addresses this generation about the importance of acknowledging God’s Word, believing in them and doing them. SO THAT they can live like God’s Covenant people. Living in such a way that they acknowledge Him as YAHWEH….LIVING AS COVENANT PEOPLE IN THE LAND.
- His concern and warning…DO NOT TO REPEAT THE MISTAKES OF THE PREVIOUS GENERATION.
THE PREFACE – A PLEA FOR UNDERSTANGING – 6:1-3
AN INTRO TO THE REST OF THIS BIG SECTION (Chapters 6:4-26:19). Moses is conveying the authority & importance of these words.
So, that they will know how to live as God’s people.
“Now this is the commandment—the statutes and the rules—that the LORD your God commanded me to teach you, that you may do them in the land to which you are going over, to possess it,  that you may fear the LORD your God, you and your son and your son’s son, by keeping all his statutes and his commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be long.  Hear therefore, O Israel, and be careful to do them, that it may go well with you, and that you may multiply greatly, as the LORD, the God of your fathers, has promised you, in a land flowing with milk and honey. – vv. 1-3
- NOW…listen, take heed, pay attention, are you listening??? ALL THAT FOLLOWS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! – v. 1
- God gave it to Moses. (FROM GOD to Moses…to the People) – v. 1
- To teach the people (instruction, with a purpose… a changed life) – v. 1
- That they may DO them (Goal is change. Understanding and Action) – v. 1
- In the land they are to possess. (GOD GAVE IT TO THEM. TO TAKE, but they need to keep obeying to keep) – v. 1
- That you may fear the Lord (Honor, Reverence, Worship)– v. 2
- All the days of your life…your son, and your son’s son. (KEEP ON BELIEVING, TRUSTING AND DOING) – v. 2
- That your days may be long (BLESSED BY THE LORD) – v. 2
- Hear. (let it sink in) – v. 3
- Be careful to do (dedication, diligence, determination….MOTIVATED BY LOVE AND DEVOTION) – v. 3
- That it may go well with you. Multiply greatly (HIS BLESSING) – v. 3
- As the Lord has promised you (God’s Word is trustworthy…always has been…always will be) – v. 3
- In a land flowing with milk and honey (satisfying) – v. 3
THE SHEMA – (Hebrew for Hear)
- THEY KEY PRINCIPLE OF THIER FAITH
- THE FOUNDATION FOR THE WAS TO FOLLOW. THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.
- Israel’s pledge of allegiance
- Even today…Devote Jews pray this prayer twice a day. A Christians and the LORD’S PRAYER
 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.  You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.  You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.  You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
HEAR, LOVE, TEACH, TALK, BIND, WRITE
Hear… The Lord is One. HE IS GOD. – v. 4
For an in-depth study on the “Doctrine of God” – The Attributes of God – A.W. Pink (this is “big boy reading”)
Love the Lord with (exclusive and constant) – v.5-6
- Heart – inner being. Intellect. ALL OUR BEING
- Soul – Desire, literally appetite. Emotions. EVERY ASPECT OF OUR PERSONALITY
- Might – word means greatness, exceedingly. Our Will power. WITHOUT EXCEPTION OR RESERVATION.
- They shall be on your heart. WHO YOU ARE. FROM THE INSIDE OUT – v. 6
Teach them diligently to your children – v. 7
- Serious, Priority, Continuous
- Instruct. Knowledge and application (INFO then WISDOM)
- Pass along
Talk of them – v. 7
- Part of every aspect of one’s life
- Everything thing done is done under the call TO LIVE AS GOD’S PEOPLE
- All of life is an opportunity to GLORIFY GOD
Bind them on hands and eyes – v. 8
- Permeates our life. Shows importance
Write them on the door posts and gates – v.9
- Coming and Going
- Everywhere we go we live for God
The command was PLAN. It was ACKNOWLEDGED. It was UNDERSTOOD
Yet, 2 Kings ends very tragically.
- Slowly and surely…with the passing of time…
- Little by little they deviated from the Word
Jesus repeats this passage in Matthew 22:34 & Mark 12:28
- Tuesday of Holy Week
- In the midst of the religious leaders challenging Him.
- Love your neighbor – Lev. 19
- Summation of all the Law and Prophets
Under the OT it was impossible to obey completely. In the NT…JESUS DID.
THE GOSPEL MAKES this the greatest commandment? – THAT WE CAN KNOW TRULY OBEY AND FULFILL.
- To be born again…to a living Hope
- As new creations in Christ.
- Through Christ….I CAN TRULY LOVE
1 Peter 1:3 – Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead