My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Dec 6th as we walk through the book of Deuteronomy. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Today as we gather the focus is on International Mission. This time of year our church prays for and gives to support the work of the SBC and International Missions. Today, I want us to consider what is this idea of MISSIONS…What is it that we as a church are to be doing.
Matthew 28:18–20 –  And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (ESV)
- Go – Make Disciples – All the nations
Acts 11:19-26 is Matthew 28 being lived out
Acts 11:19–26 –  Now those who were scattered because of the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus and Antioch, speaking the word to no one except Jews.  But there were some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, who on coming to Antioch spoke to the Hellenists also, preaching the Lord Jesus.  And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number who believed turned to the Lord.  The report of this came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.  When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose,  for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord.  So Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul,  and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. (ESV)
After reading the text we could define Missions – The activity of God’s people, the church, to live out Matthew 28:18-20 and Acts 11:19-26 to all the nations.
- (believe the words are true and do our best to fulfill them)
NOTICE WHAT THE FOCUS IS… DISCIPLE
- A disciple is a saved person that is learning to live under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
- Knowing, Growing, Going.
- Believing, Trusting, Following, (Adore and Worship)
KEYS TO BEING A DISCIPLE and MAKING DISCIPLES
I must be growing daily in my relationship with the Lord (my personal holiness and spiritual growth…growing and changing into the likeness of Christ)
I must reach out to others with the Gospel message (my circle of influence)
I must build up believers in their faith (Invest in others…help them become disciples)
- In their knowledge of God through His Word.
- In their daily growing and changing (The Spirit of God through the Word of God causes this growth… as we believe and obey the WORD…We begin to live less like us and more like HIM)
- In their ministry within the local church
- In their loving and serving one another
TRUTHS TO CONSIDER
THIS INVOLVES EVERYONE
- We all are uniquely qualified to fulfill Matthew 28 and Acts 11
- USING MY GOD GIVEN PERSONALITY AND GIFTS TO LIVE OUT THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST…MAKING A DIFFERENCE! IN THE LIVES OF OTHERS.
NOT AN EVENT, BUT A PROCESS
- I am afraid we have turned evangelism within the SBC into an event and simple prayer.
WE MUST RELY ON AND TRUST IN GOD’S GRACE
- His presence, power, and promises to do only what He can do.
WE MUST REMEMBER THE MISSION
- Make disciples (Not just seeking a decision)
- NO WHERE IS SCRIPTURE DOES IT TELL US THAT BELIEVING IN JESUS ALONE SAVES YOU
WE MUST TAKE SERIOUS WHAT IS AT STAKE
- The souls of those we know and love are at stake.
- All ETERNITY IS AT STAKE
- IT IS NOT OUR PLACE TO JUDGE, BUT WE MUST REALIZE THAT EACH ONE OF US ARE GOING TO BE JUDGED.
- Matthew 7:21–23 –  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’  And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (ESV)
- We must not be satisfied with what someone may tell us…we must love them enough to seek the deeper things of their heart. (NOT IN A JUDGMENTAL WAY, BUT LOVING AND SINCERE WAY)
- What we believe with our mind, should impact our heart, and change our life.
- Do they know Jesus Christ? When they came to Christ was THEIR SIN THE ISSUE. THE OLD MAN IS GONE…THEY ARE A NEW CREATION. 2 Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
WE MUST POINT THEM TO WHAT CHRIST HAS DONE
1 Corinthians 6:9–11 –  Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,  nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.  And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (ESV)
BUT YOU WERE
Washed – cleansed (guilt over the power of sin)
Sanctified – Set apart. A break from sin.
- Love of sin
- The power and practice of Sin
- On-going growth. Progressive
Justified – Not guilty. Romans 8:33
- Declared righteous. (opposite of unrighteous)
- Christ’s righteousness. 1 Cor. 1:30
Romans 5:1 – Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (ESV)
Romans 8:1 – There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (ESV)
Romans 8:33 – Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. (ESV)
1 Corinthians 1:30–31 –  And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,  so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (ESV)