My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Dec 20th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Matthew 1:1-17 – King Jesus and His Royal Line
Matthew is not attempting to give a literal lineage, but rather a lineage that demonstrates God’s faithfulness to fulfill His Old Testament promises.
THE LONG-AWAITED MESSIAH HAS ARRIVED!!!
Jesus the Son of Abraham – The Father of the Nations
Christ is the fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham.
Gen. 12:2-3 –  And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.” (ESV)
To all the nations, for all the people.
Women, Gentiles, People who have made less than ideal decisions.
- Adulterers, Prostitutes. NOT PERFECT
- YET CHRIST IS PERFECT
Jesus is the Son of David – The Reigning King
Isaiah 9:6–7  For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this. (ESV)
Jesus is the Son of God – The Center Piece of All Redemptive History
v. 1 – HIS NAME points to it
Jesus – Jehovah Saves
Christ – The anointed One. Prophet, Priest, and King (were anointed…HE FULFILLS THEM ALL)
- WHO HE IS
- WHO SENT HIM
- WHY HE NEED TO COME
- WHAT HE ACCOMPLISHED
- HOW IT IMPACTS YOUR LIFE
v. 17 – All of HISTORY points to it
- Every aspect of history focuses on some aspect of the Gospel
From Abraham to King David
- Father of the nation to the First King
David – Josiah
- From the Greatest King to the Last Free King
From Jeconiah to Jesus
- From the exile to the restoration of God’s people
Notice the pattern. All major points of history are mere steppingstones
- From Gen 3 to here. – Genesis 3:15 – I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.” (ESV)
- 1st coming to 2nd Coming (WHO IS WORTHY TO OPEN THE SCROLL. Rev. 5:1-7)
Currently… We are in the last chapter, the closing act, the 4th quarter of REDEMPTIVE HISTORY.
- Nothing else needs to be done.
- The prophecies have been fulfilled.
- He came, He lived, He died, He rose again, He ascended.
- He is King…It is Proven
- He is coming again.
- Do we BELIEVIE IN HIM
- Have we AKNOWLEDGED HIM (the truths of the Gospel…God, Man, Jesus, Man)
- Have we TRUSTED IN HIM
- Have we RECEIVED HIM
- Are you EXCITED ABOUT HIM
- Are you FOLLOWING AFTER HIM