My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Jan 3rd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Philippians 1:27 & 2 Peter 1:3-12
A New Year is an opportunity for a New You
- Doing things differently as we start a new year.
- The concept of progressive sanctification. Growing and changing into the likeness of Christ.
- Making changes and holding myself accountable to do things differently.
- If we keep doing the same thing, then we will continue to get the same results.
I have heard it said over and over and over…So glad that 2020 is over because it was terrible. A new year is here. Things will have to be different in 2021
Well…lets consider a few things.
Why does a new year make our life better?
- Is COVID going away?
- Is the political climate going to change overnight?
- Are all the circumstances that we face…just going to go away.
Personally…once I really began to think and reflect. I have decided that 2020 has shown me much about myself, my beliefs, and all that should be important to me. It has forced me to look deep within me heart as a Christian, but also as a Pastor.
Therefore, I am so excited about 2021… not because 2020 is over, but because it gives me a new day and a new year to live my life for Christ.
I AM GOING TO LIVE MY LIFE WORTHY OF THE GOSPEL
Philippians 1:27 – Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, (ESV)
- Individually – my life
- Corporately as a church – how my life can influence my Gospel Family…the Church.
I AM GOING TO HAVE A MORE BIBLCAL FOCUS ON LIFE
2 Peter 1:3–4 – His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,  by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
- What I can control. My responsibility.
- Big Circle and Little Circle (me and GOD)
- Latch onto His divine power
I AM GOING TO DAILY CHECK MY HEART
2 Peter 1:4-12 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,  and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,  and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.  For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.  Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.  For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. (ESV)
My daily goal should be maturity. Daily growing and changing toward Christlikeness.
- He has done His part.
- Am I doing my part?
Progressive Sanctification – The believers lifelong process of growing and changing into the likeness of Christ.
- God’s Presence, Power, and Provision
- Our Devotion, Desire, and Diligence
Notice the text:
- Make every effort
- Be the diligent
- Confirm your calling and election
- For if you practice these things
If we are going to PROGRESS in the Christian life, we need to check our heart every day. These are areas that we need to examine on a regular basis. AREAS THAT NEED CONSTANT EXAMINATION.
DAILY ACCOUNTABLILITY QUESTIONS
- Do I spend daily time in the Bible and in prayer? Do I meditate on the things of the Lord throughout the day?
- Do I enjoy corporate worship within the body of Christ? Is my church attendance consistent? Am I involved with a group of believers that are encouraging me to grow and change daily?
- Have my thoughts been pure? Do I expose myself to things that are not holy and pleasing to the Lord?
- Have I been completely above reproach in my financial dealings? Is my giving to the Lord’s Church a direct reflection of His daily provision and blessings upon my life?
- Have I spent quality relationship time with my family and friends?
- Do I do 100% of my best at my job, school, and etc?
- Have I told any half-truths or outright lies, putting myself in a better light than those around me?
- Have I tried to encourage someone with the message of Christ this week? Do I regularly invite people to church? When was the last time I told someone my STORY?
- Have I taken care of my body through physical exercise which includes proper eating and sleeping habits?
- Have I allowed any person or circumstances to rob me of my joy?
- Am I actively serving the Lord with my life? Is my life making a difference to those around me?
- Is my greatest desire in life to live for and please the Lord? Is living for the glory of God what motivates my thought and decision-making process?