My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Jan 10th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Deuteronomy 7:1-26 “Conquering Our Land”
Live differently – vv. 1-11
This is not literally destroying our enemy or living in isolation.
- We are called to GO AND MAKE DICSCIPLES…therefore we must engage with culture so we can share the Gospel (LIVE AS A MISSIONARY)
- It carries the idea of BEING IN THE WORLD, BUT NOT OF THE WORLD.
- Have nothing to do with those opposed to the things of God. (false religion, opposed to the truths of God)
WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT…v. 4 is key. For they would turn your sons from following me, to serve other gods.
Biblical Separation – What can I do with others for the sake of Christianity.
- Ask your self this question…Do I think they will be in heaven one day?
- Then I figure out what I can do with them and what I cannot do with them. (personal conscience and conviction)
vv. 6-8 Because of who we are
- Holy – set apart. v. 6
- Chosen – Idea of election, conversion, justification. v. 6
- God’s treasured possession – v. 6
- vv. 7-8 lays out this concept.
vv. 9-11 – Because of who God is
- LORD GOD Yahweh Elohim
- Faithful God
- Covenant keeping God
- Steadfast loving God
- A Just God – repays those that hate Him. v. 10
v. 11 – Therefore, be careful to do (statutes and rules).
Living differently than the world is not an option. It is a command.
Not based on how one feels, but rather on a LOVING GRACE FILLED COMMAND.
MOTIVATED BY LOVE. HIS and MINE
Expect God’s Blessing – vv. 12-16
Genesis 17:1-8, Exodus 6:1-8 – God’s words to Abraham and Moses
A quick definition of blessing. IT IS NOT ABOUT prosperity… IT IS ABOUT LIVING IN HIS PRESENCE.
If we listen, keep, and do… the Lord will keep you – v. 12
KNOWLEDGE – OBEDIENCE – BLESSING
LOVE YOU – KEEP YOU – MULIPLY YOU
- What more could we want? To be loved, kept, and blessed.
I need to live each day in these WORDS! REGARDLESS, OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES. I AM LOVED, KEPT, AND BLESSED!
- HIS PROVISION, PROMISES, AND PRESENCE (MY THREE Ps)
Continue to Trust in His Word – vv. 17-26
When you say in your heart – v. 17
- When doubt creeps in. When we begin to listen to and believe the lies of the devil.
You shall not be afraid, but remember – vv. 18-22
All the examples that this generation would have heard from their parents. (the previous generation)
What God did (BECAUSE OF WHO GOD IS)
- GOD ALWAYS WINS, BECAUSE HE HAS ALREADY WON
God will also give them over to you – v. 23
The God of the Bible is still God today!
- Read the OT (reading backwards). God is always faithful.
- We do see people go through troubling times. YET, we ALWAYS SEE GOD’S ultimate purpose accomplished. (Genesis. The story of Joseph)
God always wins…because He has already won
1 Peter 2:9-12