My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Feb. 7th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- Love the Lord (6:5)
- Keep His Charge, His Statutes, His Rules and His commandments
- The revealed will of God. What He has made known to his people. Through Moses, Through the Prophets, Through Jesus, Through the Apostles, THROUGHT THE BIBLE
- Daniel Block…the 4 points of a campus…from all directions.
WHY OBEY? WHAT IS THE MOTIVATION?
From this weekend…Paul Tripp “Strong men captured by the glory of the Lord give themselves to doing the work of the Lord.
OBEDIENCE = DOING THE WORK OF THE LORD.
- Loving, Serving, Following After
Moses reminds the people who God is and what He has done. It is because of God’s Mighty Acts and Gracious Provision that HIS PEOPLE SHOULD HEAR, BEILEVING, and DO.
God’s Mighty Acts – 11:2-7
History – what He has done
AND CONSIDER TODAY – v. 2a
His person –v. 2b
- His discipline (instruction)
- His greatness
His power – vv. 3-7
- Mighty hand, outstretched arm
- Sings and deeds
What He did to the enemy – What He did for His people
For your eyes have seen all THE GREAT WORK of the Lord that He did. – v.7
God’s Gracious Provision – 11:8-32
The future – The giving of the land
- Be strong, take the land
- Obedience = the strength to take the land
The eyes of the Lord are always upon it, from the beginning of the year to the end of the year – v. 12
The response of the people will be an indication of their faith (what they TRULY BELIEVE ABOUT GOD)
- Real faith (pass the test)– vv. 13-15
- False faith (fail the test)- vv. 16-17
Devotion – serve Him with all your heart and soul – v. 13
Deception – serve other God’s and worship them – v. 16
- believe something that is not true…So important to trust in God and His Words. Then and now!!!!
True faith is passed down vv. 18-21 – The Shema 6:4-9
- Drive out enemies
- Expand the land
No one shall be able to stand against you. The LORD your God will lay the fear of you and the dread of you on all the land that you shall tread, as he promised you. – v.25
- Blessing – IF we obey
- Curse – When we do not
WHEN….it is going to happen
- The Israelites will cross the Jordan
- Christ will come (He did and is coming again)
- Physical location. A geographical place. Canaan/Israel
- Fulfilled in Christ. HE WAS BORN, LIVED, CRUCIFIED in the OLD LAND!
- Still physical, but now the meaning is spiritual.
- Already…in Christ. The Blessings of our life within the NEW KINGDOM
- Not Yet… our eternal home. Glory Land!
For you are to cross over the Jordan to go in to take possession of the land that the LORD your God is giving you. And when you possess it and live in it, you shall be careful to do all the statutes and the rules that I am setting before you today. – vv. 31-32
In the Garden – Adam disobeyed and was expelled.
In Canaan – Israel disobeyed and was expelled.
NO ONE CAN OBEY PERFECTLY…. EXCEPT JESUS.
- When we trust in the finished work of Christ, we enter the land of our salvation through HIS SACRIFICE. We enter His REST.
Hebrews 4:1–13 –  Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.  For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.  For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath ‘They shall not enter my rest,’”although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.  For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.”  And again in this passage he said, “They shall not enter my rest.”
 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,  again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.”
 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.  So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,  for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (ESV)