My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Feb. 28th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- This section covers giving, praying, and fasting
- The greatest amount of time was spent on prayer
- It is the most important
- A better name… The model prayer or disciple’s prayer. HOW A RIGHTEOUS PERSON SHOULD PRAY
- Not praying as a hypocrite.
- How do we pray?
- Why do we pray?
Divided in 2 parts
- In relationship to God
- In relationship to Us
With 6 Petitions
- 1-3 are cast in terms of God’s Glory – vv. 9-10
- 4-6 are cast in terms of our benefit or needs – vv. 11-13
Our Father in heaven – Praying to the Father
Jesus prayed to His Father – Mark 14:36 – Abba
- To the Father… it is a personal prayer
- Believers – Only through the gospel of Jesus Christ…Through conversion… is God is our heavenly Father – John 14:6
- Unbelievers – Those that have not repented of their sin and placed their faith in Christ… The devil is their father – John 8:44
Hallowed be your name – His Name – His Holiness
Name – Represents all that He is. His character and attributes.
- He is Holy. One should acknowledge His holiness
- 1 Peter 1:15-16 – but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
Our Words Matter
- We say that we are a Christian…but there is no evidence in life that we truly love God or the things of God.
Our Worship Matters
- We need to be very careful how we “say” we worship Him. Worship/His Church is not about us, but IS ALL ABOUT HIM.
Your kingdom come – His Kingdom – His rule and reign
Kingdom – Basileia. It is not necessarily a place, but rather refers to His sovereignty and dominion.
The King reigning in His Kingdom
- Started with the coming of Christ… yet not fully consummated until His ultimate and final return.
The Kingdom is NOW manifested and made known as the church lives out the Lordship of Christ through our lives.
- Christ’s rule and reign through the hearts of believers and the ministries of the local church.
- God’s redemptive plan lived out.
REMEMBER….Jesus is warning against hypocritical praying….We can become guilty of praying hypocritically when…We pray more for our kingdom rather than God’s
We pray and respond like a child lives their life
- Happy when all is well but…the moment they are uncomfortable or want something…they cry out and want someone to give them what THEY WANT.
- Cannot see the big picture…they live in their little universe.
- For whatever reason we fail to acknowledge God’s Holy and Sovereign Rule Over Creation…. Out actions indicate a little view of God.
Key is understanding the IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES we can ASK OURSELVES… How can I utilize this news/event/circumstances to:
- Grow closer to Him
- Utilize this for His Glory (people see and hear how we respond when we face difficulty
- To demonstrate hope and share the Gospel.
Your will be done – His Will – His purpose and plan
God is never trespassing on his own property. Psalm 24:1 – “The earth is the LORD’s and the fullness thereof”
Romans 12:1-2 – … that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect
We are never going to ask Him to do something He has not already planned. (WHAT A PROFOUND THOUGHT)
REMEMBER – He is all powerful, all knowing, all wise, and all loving. HIS PROVIDENTIAL CARE AS HE RULES WITHIN HIS KINGDOM.
3 Possible Understandings of His Will
- God is in control of nothing
- God is in control of somethings
- God is in control of all things – THE RIGHT ANSWER
- It is all or nothing.
- He is God…we are not
- We have a will, but our will can never be superior to His will.
- People say…WE HAVE FREE WILL. I always say yes, we do but OUR WILL IS NOT SUPERIOR TO HIS WILL. If someone really believes in TOTAL FREE WILL….THEN why pray at all…WHAT CAN GOD DO?????
A perfect example – Acts 2:23 – this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. (ESV)
Truths to Embrace and Remember
Proverbs 21:1, Genesis 50:19
- God is working behind the scenes
- He is working to accomplish His purpose…GOD HAS A PLAN
- His ways are not our ways
- God’s Word/Purpose will not return to Him void
- We will never know God’s perfect will until after it happens
- God loves His sheep.
- He who comes through Christ will be saved
- Jesus came to give life abundantly.
- We will never perish.
- The Father has given us to the Son
- No one will snatch us from His hand.
- For this is the will of God, OUR SANCTIFICATION
Romans 12:1–2 –  I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (ESV)
Proverbs 21:1 – The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will. (ESV)
Genesis 50:19–20 –  But Joseph said to them, “Do not fear, for am I in the place of God?  As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. (ESV)
Isaiah 55:6–11 –  “Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near;  let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.  “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,  so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. (ESV)
1 Thessalonians 4:3 – For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; (ESV)