My sermon notes for Sunday morning, March 28th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
Association of Certified Biblical Counselors Website- Anxiety and Worry Resource Page (you will find several articles and podcasts that relate to anxiety and worry. I have include one of the articles below)
- The previous verses vv. 19-24 taught us about laying up “treasures in heaven” and “treasures on earth.”
- Jesus continues with this dynamic as he addresses worry and anxiety over the things of life.
- Worry and Anxiety is wrong. As believers we all can have periods of worry and anxiety, but our goal should be not to let it control us.
- The key is learning to trust and finding our contentment in who we are IN CHRIST as we live our life FOR CHRIST. (Phil 4:11-12, 1 Tim. 6:6-8)
The Problem – v. 25
Anxious, to worry. (EXCESSIVE ANXIETY)
- Concern over things outside of our control.
Worry is a sin against God:
- His Person, His Promises, His Provision
- God is our Holy creator
- Think of ALL THE PROMISES IN HIS WORD.
- HE IS GOD!
- All aspects of the person (Physical, mental, emotional, spiritual – John MacArthur)
Eat, drink, put on your body
- Specifically, here the most basis: Eat, Drink., & Wear.
- Years ago, this would have been a daily concern. NOW, not so much… yet WE STILL WORRY.
The Picture – vv. 26-31
Birds – they do not grow or store.
- Yet, God feeds them
- THEY WORK and God provides.
Are you not of more value than they?
- Think of creation. Humankind is the pinnacle of creation.
- He Loves and Cares for His own. 1 Peter 5:6–7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,  casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (ESV)
And which being anxious can add a single hour to your span of life
- Our worry ADDS nothing to our life, rather SUBTRACTS from it
Flowers – do nothing, but…are beautiful
- Yet, God gives them their beauty
- God will do much more for us
O you of little faith – v. 30
- God will feed, give life, & cloth
The Promise– vv. 31-34
Therefore, do not be anxious
- Eat, drink, wear
- YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER KNOWS YOU NEED THEM
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness
- Seek. Desire after. Strive to obtain. OUR SPIRITUAL LIFE. DAILY LIVING FOR GOD (Not just believing but focus on and live for God)
- Do not worry, but seek…HIS KINGDOM and HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS …remember vv. 6-10.
- Replace your WORRY with SEEKING (Put off & Put on)
- 2 Cor. 5:17-21 – we are NEW CREATIONS – old is gone. (TOTAL MAKE OVER -Like TV shows…work and sweat toward our goal!!!!)
All these things will be added to you
- You will realize all you need will be FOUND IN WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST
Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow
- We worry over things WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER
- Sufficient of the day
- Seek and live today and tomorrow takes care of itself.
- ONCE WE HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST
- WE CAN KNOW WE HAVE A HEAVENLY FATHER THAT LOVES US AND CARES FOR US
- AS WE SEEK HIM, WE WILL REALIZE THE THINGS WE WORRIED ABOUT WERE NOT THAT IMPORTANT
- WE DISCOVER ALL THAT WE TRULY NEED IS FOUND IN OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM
- AND THEN WE DISCOVER CONTENTMENT
Philippians 4:11-12 – Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
1 Timothy 6:6-8 – Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
2 Corinthians 5:17–21 –  Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.  All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;  that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.  Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.  For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (ESV)