My sermon notes for Sunday morning, April 18th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- We tend to take a surface level view of prayer in these verses. (I am afraid we miss the context)
- Remember, we are still in the section of “Relationships”
- 7:1-6 – My relationship with others
- 7:7-11 – My relationship with God
- 7:12 – My relationship with others
- Sandwiched between others is our relationship with God.
- We are to pray so that we can have a right relationship with God. (not to get something, but to change US)
- As we pray, we understand who He is. We understand who we are. We understand what we really need.
Hopefully, we can understand why it is we ask, seek, and knock, so that we can really understand THE PRIVILEGE OF PRAYER
- Passionate about prayer
- Purposeful with our prayer
- Persistent in our prayers
The Imperative to Pray
ASK, SEEK, KNOCK – v. 7
THE “DO” – Believing people are praying people.
- Grammar – Now and keep on.
Notice the progression.
- I ask, then seek, then knock
- We have a need.
- We know we cannot address the need alone
- There is a person in whom we are addressing.
- More than just a request
- It is not in my possession
- I am involved. Devotion, Determination and Diligence.
- Matthew 6:33–34 –  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (ESV)
- (THIS IS NOT A SALVATION DOOR)
- I know the who.
- Going to the source of the solution
- God’s Will and God’s Word
- Matthew 11:28–30 –  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (ESV)
- A door is an entry way. The doorway to God’s Will.
- Keep knocking…until the door is opened
Keep on with the Keep on! 1 Thess. 5:17 – Pray without ceasing.
- Ask without ceasing
- Seek without ceasing
- Knock without ceasing
The People of Prayer
Everyone who…v. 8
Everyone who is…
- Born Again
- Seeking to know the Lord’s Will
- Understands the true privilege and opportunity for prayer
- John 10:27–29  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. (ESV)
- Prayer is more about GOD THAN US!
- Us KNOWING His Will. NOT HIS GIVING me what I think I need.
A great guide to keep us on focus:
- Start with Adoration and Praise
- Then Confession
- Then Thanksgiving
- Then Intersession (praying for others)
- Then Petition (praying for our needs)
Everyone who Asks receives – Seeks finds – Knocks the door will be opened
- KEEP PRAYING until we rest in and have peace with GOD’S PERFECT WILL.
- Prayer changes us… our will to His Way.
- Because we know they are HEARD and ANSWERED
- Yes, No, Wait. THREE ANSWERS.
WE CAN TRUST IN THIS… BECAUSE OF
The Motivation of our Prayer
The Father’s Love – vv. 9-11
How much more does our heavenly Father love His own!
- He is Our Creator, Sustainer, and Provider
Father in Heaven
- Intimate and personal relationship
- Holy (reverent) relationship.
The Golden Rule – v. 12 (Others)
vv. 1-7 – Stop judging…look within
v. 12 – Treat others right.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE.
- Because of vv. 7-12.
- WE ARE ONE WITH THE FATHER.
Relationships are crucial.
- Our Relationship with Christ
- Our Relationship with others
They go hand and hand
- Some of us have a string of broken relationships and problems with others. (It is always someone else)
- When we are right with the Lord, then we should have a desire to be right with others.
They KEY IS MY PERSONAL WALK WITH THE LORD THROUGH THE WORD AND PRAYER.
- Both are a privilege
- Am I passionate about my daily communion with God?
- Do I understand the purpose of the Word and Prayer?
- Am I willing to develop new way of thinking and doing that will allow me to be persistent in these things?
Prayer Changes Peoples Will – John Piper (Article)
Grace To You – John MacArthur – (A collection of resources on Prayer)
Praying the Bible By: Donald Whitney (Book)