My teaching notes for Wednesday, April 28th. I am currently teaching through the book of Psalms. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching.
Firsts in this Psalm
- Psalm with a heading – A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom
- Selah – Pause. Rest
MY ENEMY– vv. 1-2
David’s troubles and his enemies:
- 2 Sam. 7:1 – Peace within the kingdom
- 2 Sam. 11-12- David’s Sin with Bathsheba
- 2 Sam. 12-14 – Family troubles
- 2 Sam. 15-19 – Kingdom taken over by Absalom’s rebellion
- 2 Sam. 17:24 – David had to flee the rebellion and wait it out across the Jordan
- Surrounded… Has him hemmed in. “Pressure”
- Many and Growing
Many are saying to my soul
- Discouragement from the depths of the soul.
There is no salvation for him in God
- God cannot help…will not help
- YET, God will keep His promises 1 Kings 2:12, 46
MY SHIELD – vv. 3-4
But you, O Lord
- He cries out. – This was his battle plan. CALL OUT TO GOD!
- Does not address the enemy… He knows God is the one His focus needs to be one. NOT THE TROUBLES.
- Dignity and honor
Lifter of my Head
- As a king would life a head of a subject. Acceptance and approval.
I Cry Aloud and He Answers
- When he cried out, he know God would answe.
MY DELIVERER – vv. 5-8
I lay down to sleep
- David at peace. His confidence and assurance.
I will not be afraid (fear)
- Even though the enemy is numerous and the trial great.
Arise, O Lord
- Numbers 10:35 – Moses’ prayer.
- They rose up against David. God RAISES UP! To rise to accomplish something.
Strike the enemies of the cheek and break their teeth
- Defeat, Righteous judgment. Complete. Total
Salvation belongs to the Lord, Your blessing to your people
- Deliverance and Blessing belong to the Lord
We will face trials. We will have enemies.
- They are not wanted nor or they enjoyed
The goal of the enemy is defeat. To doubt our relationship with God.
- Yet, we realize all trials are for God’s glory and our benefit.
- Bring about our sanctification. Show us our dependance on Him.
God alone is our shield and lifter of our head
- God is enough. Jesus is enough. – Philippians 3:20-21