My sermon notes for Sunday morning, June 6th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
2 Timothy 2:14–26
- Paul is laying out Timothy’s responsibilities as a pastor/elder so that he can ENDURE IN MINISTRY AND FINISH FAITHFUL.
- Standing on truth in a world that does not want to hear it
- How to live amongst false teachers
- LIVING AS ONE APPROVED (accepted because our life is genuine)
Live Unashamed of the Gospel – vv. 14-19
 Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers.  Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.  But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,  and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus,  who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some.  But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”
Remind and Charge – v. 14a
- Them. The church, but it could also be the church leadership. LEADERSHIP IS KEY. EVERYTHING RISES AND FALLS BASED UPON THE FOUNDATION LAID BY THE LEADERSHIP.
- Remind and Charge. The importance of the task
- 2 Timothy 2:8–10 –  Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel,  for which I am suffering, bound with chains as a criminal. But the word of God is not bound!  Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. (ESV)
- THE GOSPEL, THE GOSPEL, THE GOSPEL. Get the Gospel right and Keep the Gospel right.
Speak truth clearly – v. 14b
- Quarrel about Words
- This does not mean that we should not defend and stand for the truth.
- This literally means not misusing the Word. Not teaching and sharing the Word in an unworthy manner.
Present yourself approved before God
- An unashamed worker
- At times it seems people are ashamed to stand for God. We fear man more than God.
- 1 John 2:28 – Live in such a way that we will not be unashamed at His coming
Rightly handle the Word of truth – v. 15
- Cutting a straight line (We would never think a crooked cut board is acceptable. We make this way to difficult)
Avoid foolish babble – vv. 16-18
- Leads to more ungodliness
- Swerved from the truth
- A little wrong is still wrong.
- Once it is allowed it carries on! The slippery slope… a little now will be much more later.
Make a stand – v. 19
- God’s firm foundation
- He knows those that are His
- Depart form iniquity
Live Different from the World – vv. 20-23
 Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable.  Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.
 So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.  Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.
Living as Honorable Vessels – vv. 21-22
- Gold and Silver
- Set apart as holy
- Ready for every good work
- Wood and Clay
Fleeing youthful passions – v. 22a & 23
- Foolish, ignorant, controversies
Pursing that which is right – v. 22b
- Righteousness, faith, love, and peace.
Live as a Servant of Christ– vv. 24-26
 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,  correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,  and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. (ESV)
A Servant’s character – vv. 24-25a
- Not quarrelsome
- Able to teach
- Patiently enduring evil
- Correcting with gentleness
- Helping them understand.
- Remembering your own growth journey
A Servant’s Ministry – v. 25b-26
As we follow Christ, Love Christ, and Live for Christ, Share Christ… then we know that the Gospel through our life will accomplish its purpose!
WE CAN BEGIN TO SEE HEART CHANGE RIGHT BEFORE OUR EYES.
- God changes people… not me
- God’s Word not mine… brings about the change
- Once their heart truly changes… then their life will follow
- God may grant them repentance
- Leading to
- Knowledge of the truth
- Come to their senses
- Escape the snare of the devil
- Captured to do his will
GOD CHANGES PEOPLE NOT US… WE ARE HIS VESSELS. WE ARE HIS AMBASSADORS!
- Our friends will change
- Our family will change
- Our community will change