My sermon notes for Sunday morning, June 20th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
2 Timothy 3:1–9
- Paul reminding Timothy that he and the church are living in the last days.
- The last days are difficult because they are full of people who have never trusted in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior
- Living Faithfully in an Unfaithful World
- The Peril of Apostacy in the Church
AS WE LIVE IN THESE DAYS WE MUST REMEMBER
WE WILL FACE DIFFICULTY – v. 1
 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty
From the time of Pentecost (When the Spirit came upon the Church) to the time of His return.
- They were living in the last days
- We are living in the last days
The times will be difficult
- Hard to bear, painful.
WE LIVE AMONG LOST PEOPLE – vv. 2-5
 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,  heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good,  treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,  having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people
WHY THE WORLD IS SO DIFFICULT TO LIVE IN
- We live in a fallen world
- Living in a constant tension with what is RIGHT and what is WRONG
FOR PEOPLE WILL BE
- With fallen people…people with no hope
- People living without the Grace of God upon their life
- People do what they do because of WHO THEY ARE…either alive or dead.
- Dead and Desperate
People living in lostness:
- lovers of self
- lovers of money
- disobedient to their parents
- without self-control
- not loving good
- swollen with conceit
- lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
They are lost and do what they do because of WHO THEY ARE. DEAD IN THEIR TRESPASSES AND SIN.
YET Some claim to be saved… BUT
having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power
- Appearance – Silhouette. No Substance.
- looks and lips are deceiving
- Examine their doctrine, character, and followers
- Great way to determine the Biblical health of a pastor (and his church)
- What is his doctrine – How does he live his life – What time of Christ followers does the ministry produce
Avoid such people
- Avoid, Expose, and Oppose
- 2 Timothy 2:23–25 –  Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.  And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,  correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, (ESV)
- OBVIOUSLY, we are to be developing relationships with people so that we can share the Gospel. This is open rebellion to the Gospel with no desire to change.
WE MUST NEVER COMPROMISE THE FAITH– vv. 6-9
 For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions,  always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. vv. 6-7
There can be a danger to compromise the faith to the reach the world for Christ… this is terrible idea. Remember in the Gospels…Jesus was a stickler for truth.
The dangers of compromise
- Creep into the household – stealth. With purpose
- Capture the weak (lack of understanding… immature in the faith)
- Lead Astray
- Always learning and never able to arrive at truth
- Open to the things of the word, yet ignore the truth of Scripture.
- SO PREVALENT TODAY
Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith. But they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men. – vv. 8-9
Jannes and Jambres
- Magicians who served Pharaoh at the time of Moses
- They imitated the miracles of God
Oppose the Truth (God’s Truth)
- John 17:17 – Sanctify them in truth; your word is truth.
- 1 Tim. 2:4 – who desires for all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth.
- 2 Tim. 2:25 – See above
They will not get very far
- It is usually a limited following and appeal
- What is not true will not continue
- REMEMBER… GOD HAS ALREADY WON!!!!!
- We are at war
- Be awake and aware
- Know your doctrine
- Do not be afraid
- Patiently and passionate endure
- People need Jesus and the hope found in the Gospel