My teaching notes for Wednesday, July 7th. I am currently teaching through the book of Psalms. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching.
Resources utilized for preparation and study:
- Psalms Vol. 1.The NIV Application Commentary, Gerald H. Wilson.
- Psalms. Vol. 5. The Expositor’s Bible Commentary, Tremper Longman III and David Garland.
- The balance of living in hostility and living in hope
- Wickedness is everywhere
- God is still God. This is His creation.
- The devil is alive and real
- The devil is defeated
The questions – v. 1
- The questions indicate the true heart
- Anxiety and worry over the situation
- Feel alone, helpless, no end in sight
The Wickedness of the day – vv. 2-11
Real enemies and concerns for God’s covenant people
The Hearts of the wicked – vv.2-5
- Live like little “g” gods.
- Ultimately their agenda is against God not us
- It is spiritual in nature (soul) v. 3-4
- Arrogance, boastful, greedy
- Remember… It is always a heart issue! – v.6
- Says in his heart – v. 6
- No need for God, No fear of God
The Words of the wicked – v. 7
Mouth is full of
- Deceit, oppression, mischief, iniquity
- Loud, but empty! NO TRUTH TO IT
The Actions of the Wicked – vv. 8-11
Targeting God’s people
- Always has been and always will be
- Sits in ambush. Hiding
- Eyes watch for
Crushed and Fall – v. 10
- The helpless appear to be defeated
A Cry for Deliverance – vv. 12-15
The prayer of the afflicted
- God show yourself
- God deliver me
- God defeat the enemy
Hand – His strength and power
Break the arm – His justice demonstrated by judgment
The Reigning King – v. 16
Our hope in a hopeless word lies IN OUR UNDERSTANDING OF WHO GOD IS
- Remember His attributes.
King forever and forever
- Never changes
The Conclusion – vv. 17-18
God will hear
- Desire of the heart
God will strengthen
- Their heart (Faith, Spiritual)
- Circumstances may not change but our perspective will
God will act justly
- God ALWAYS acts justly and lovingly.
- YOUR KINGDOM COME and YOUR WILL BE DONE
God will defeat the enemy
- The devil is not all knowing and all powerful
- He is limited in power