My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 11th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
2 Tim 4:1-5
- Paul is encouraging Timothy of the dangers that lay ahead for the church and his ministry. (Remember 2 Tim 3)
- The last charge to Timothy as the letter comes to a close.
- 2 Timothy 3:17 – that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (ESV)
- EQUIPPED FOR EVERY GOOD WORK….A rally cry…PREACH THE WORD?
THE CHARGE– vv. 1-2
I charge you in the presence of God and of Jesus Christ
- Divine Charge from God. Therefore, it should be taken seriously
- Also used as testimony. Paul is giving the charge in the court setting in the presence of God!
Preach the Word
- Be a herald. Declare openly. Publicly proclaim the message the King has given you. (That was the job of the herald)
- More than just believing it is God’s Word… We are to PROCLAIM IT AS GOD’S WORD.
- Word=Scripture. Remember the message from last week. 2 Tim. 3:16-17
The importance of the Word is throughout:
- 2 Tim. 1:8 – Do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord
- 2 Tim. 1:13 – Follow the pattern of sound words
- 2 Tim 2:2 – what you have heard from me… entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also
- 2 Tim. 2:15 – worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the Word of truth
- 2 Tim. 2:24 – A servant of the Lord… must be able to teach
- 2 Tim. 3:16 – All Scripture is breathed out by God
THE TIME FRAME – v. 2b
- Prayed up and Prepared.
- We cannot share what we do not know.
- To share the Word… we must be a person of the Word
- 1 Peter 3:15 – but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, (ESV)
In Season and Out of Season
- Every day and on every occasion
- When they want to hear it and when they do not (good and bad)
- There is never a time where the Word is not necessary or sufficient.
THE IMPACT – v. 2c
It has the power to change the whole person – mind, actions, and encouragement of the will.
Reprove – Tell the truth about sin. Expose and point out.
- For the purpose of conviction. So that they will turn from sin
Rebuke – Criticize Sharply
- Urgency and authority. Strong disapproval.
- Paul uses only once
- Jesus uses often
- Matt. 8:26 – the elements
- Matt 17:18 – the demonic
- Luke 17:3 – if your brother sins…then
Exhort – Encourage
- Come alongside of
- Aid, help, comfort
- Gal. 6:1-6 – Gently restore
With Complete patience and teaching
- The Who: We must learn to deal with people. WE ARE PEOPLE PERSONS.
- The How: With patience and teaching
- Not harsh, sarcastic, or judgmental
- With endurance. Carefully instructing.
THE NEED – vv. 3-4
For a time is coming
- Opposition is to be expected.
- The church has always been persecuted.
Will not endure sound teaching
- REMEMBER, we live in a fallen world. THE DEPRAVED WILL NOT EMBRACE THE TRUTH.
- Their response should not curtail our desire to proclaim.
Will have itching ears
- A desire for variety. Curiosity.
Accumulate teachers to meet their passions
- BINGO… their passions. WHAT I THINK AND DESIRE rather than what God has provided.
Turn from truth and wander to into myths
- Narrow verse wide gate
- Truth is narrow. Untruth is wide
- Deny the absolute truths of God and believe a myth/fable
THE PERSON– v. 5
As vessels of the Lord, we must be people of the Lord.
- Pay careful attention. Watchful in all things.
- Sober – free from intoxications. FREE FROM THE THINGS OF THE WORLD. THE CONTINUOUS MOVEMENTS WITHIN CHURCH CIRCLES…one thing after another.
- Get ready for tough times
- The victory is won, yet we are in a battle
Do the work of an evangelist
- Keep sharing the Gospel. Fulfilling the Great Commission.
- We do what we do so people will trust in the GOOD NEWS OF JESUS CHRIST
- Saved and Growing!
Fulfill your ministry
- Do what God is calling you to do.
- FOR YOU. YOUR MINISTRY.