My teaching notes for Wednesday, July 14th. I am currently teaching through the book of Psalms. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching.
Resources utilized for preparation and study:
- Psalms Vol. 1.The NIV Application Commentary, Gerald H. Wilson.
- Psalms. Vol. 5. The Expositor’s Bible Commentary, Tremper Longman III and David Garland.
Confidence in the Lord’s Righteous Rule
- An individual lament
- Persecution of the righteous by the wicked
- Being people who have Confidence in the Lord as we embrace…
- His righteous rule.
- His gracious provision
- We need to remember WHO GOD IS. It is GOD in whom we place our confidence. In who He is and what He has done.
For the Lord is our Refuge– vv. 1-3
I will take refuge in the Lord
How then can you say…who is you? David’s advisors.
- Embrace or doubt
- In our soul… flee
- Doubt, worry, anxiety
The plan of the wicked
- Bend the bow
- Shot in the dark
- Preparing to attack
- In the background
- Target is upright of heart
- Foundations are destroyed
- All appears lost
For the Lord Reigns in His Holy Temple – vv. 4-6
He is our Reigning and Ruling King
Yet, the truth is… DO NOT WORRY OR LISTEN TO THE DOUBTERS. BECAUSE GOD IS ON HIS THRONE.
The Lord is on His holy temple – The Lord’s throne is in Heaven
- His presence and power. His rule and authority
- He sees
- He tests
- He sends
- His response to sin. Judgment
For the Lord is Righteous – v. 7
He can shake of the voice of the doubters because He understands who God is.
Lord is righteous
He loves righteous deeds
- He sees and tests, so therefore He knows and loves those that “trust and obey”
The upright shall behold His face
- Upright – Right living
- Not perfect, but continuing.
- One day at a time, one foot in front of another
- Behold His face
- Closeness, Intimacy
- Realizing His presence even in the midst of adversity!!!!