My teaching notes for Wednesday, July 21st. I am currently teaching through the book of Psalms. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching.
Resources utilized for preparation and study:
- Psalms Vol. 1.The NIV Application Commentary, Gerald H. Wilson.
- Psalms. Vol. 5. The Expositor’s Bible Commentary, Tremper Longman III and David Garland.
- A plea for deliverance
- The untruths of the world against the righteous
- The lies coming from “flattering lips” compared to the truth of God’s Word
The Prayer for Help – vv. 1-4
Save O Lord
- The first word is HELP
The godly one is gone..Faithful have vanished
- The thickness of the wickedness. A feeling of being on an island of truth.
- Does anyone not see what I see?
Utters lies… Flattering lips
- The focus on the deception and lies.
- Untruths and twisting truth
- Literally means “smooth talker.” The words appeal to the listening world
- Remember a couple of weeks ago in 2 Tim. “itching ears”
- The heart is the reason their words are untrue “heart issue”
- The mouth is an overflow of the heart
- Points to the idea they really do not actually believe what they are say. (Our world today is a perfect example)
May the Lord cut off
- Seeking deliverance.
- A harsh request. Tired of the lies of the world.
Those that say they will prevail
- Wicked think they will win
Who is master over us?
- The idols of the heart.
- They think they are their own god
- Denying the rule and reign of God over their life
God’s Response – v. 5
- He sees the wicked
- He understands the condition of the righteous
I will now rise
- The King rising form His throne to cast judgment
- Remember Ps. 9-11
- Pay day someday. Many times, it is not as soon as we wish.
- We must trust in God’s perfect time.
I will place in safety
- The protection of the Great Shepherd (rod and staff)
- Circumstances may not SEEM to change, but our perspective on them will
A New Found Confidence – vv. 6-8
The Words of the Lord are pure words. You will keep them
- True, right, holy!
- Psalm 119, Psalm 19
You will guard us from this generation forever
- What reassuring words. HIS FOREVER
- Never leaves us or forsakes us. Heb. 13:5
- His purpose and His plan is always best… ours is not
On every side the wicked prowl
- A great reminder of the fallenness of the World we live in
- He will keep us forever, yet we still live in a fallen world
- IT REMINDS US TO KEEP OUR HOPE AND FOCUS ON HIM