My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 25th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week.
1 Timothy 3:14-16
- What is the church?
- Greek: ekklesia – “assembly” or “called out ones.”
- Local Church – A group of redeemed (converted/born again) people in a local setting living their lives for the glory of God as they make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. (my short definition)
- Do we really understand the joy and privilege of being the church? Do we understand what a great time it is to be the church? Do we believe we are living as the church?
- To understand this we need to consider:
- The character of the church
- The identity of the church
- The mission of the church
The Character of the Church – vv. 14-15a
14 I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these things to you so that, 15 if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave
I hope to come to you soon
- Paul was eager to visit
I am writing these things
- The purpose of the letter follows…
You may know how you ought to behave
- He was concerned about their behavior and witness AS THE CHURCH (THE CHARACTER OF THE CHURCH)
- CHARACTER COUNTS… Individual and Corporately
- Look at the previous chapters. False Teachers, Priority of Prayer, Role and Responsibilities within the church
- The Church has a responsibility to conduct themselves in a way that is pleasing to God.
BECAUSE… Which points to our identity
The Identity of the Church – 15b
15 household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.
The Household of God
- We are individual members of a family
- Nurturing, Love, Support, Discipline, Structure
- A Christ is the head. Col. 1:15-20
The Church of the living God
- Church of… His possession.
- A living God. Jeremiah 10:10
- Therefore…His Church Is Alive! A spirit filled empowered group of people
- A living body with a real mission and purpose. To fulfill the Great Commission… it is that simple.
The Pillar and Buttress of truth
- The foundation and protector of truth
- The temple in Ephesus as the backdrop… the truth of God’s Word is the foundation of what the Church is built upon
- No sound foundation = No sound structure
- Our thinking, Our believing, Our Doctrine
- OUR THEOLOGY DRIVES OUR METHODOLOGY
- WHAT WE BELIEVE DETERMINES HOW WE LIVE
Which points to our mission
The Mission of the Church – v. 16
16 Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory. (ESV)
We confess the mystery of Godliness
- Apparently this is a hymn sung by the early church
- Mystery – Currently hidden, but NOW KNOWN
- Godliness – The rightly living out the goodness and glory of God. A GODWARD LIFESTYLE
- The mystery of how to live a life that is pleasing to God is now REVEAL AND POSSIBLE in Jesus Christ.
- The Old Covenant is by the Law
- The New Covenant is by grace
Manifested in the flesh
- Incarnation. God became man.
Vindicated by the Spirit
- Life and Resurrection.
Seen by the angels
- Witnessed the life, death and resurrection (and even ministered to Him)
Proclaimed among the nations
- The sharing of the Gospel
Believed on in the world
- Received and Believed
Taken up in glory
- His ascension and ultimate return
Even in the early days of the church in the city of Ephesus that message was about CHRIST. WHO HE WAS. WHO SENT HIM. WHAT HE CAME TO DO. HOW THAT IMPACTS US.
WE ARE THE CHURCH TODAY JUST AS THEY WERE THE CHURCH BACK IN THE TIME OF PAUL AND TIMOTHY.
Nothing has changed. This morning we need to consider our church…OUR CHARACTER, OUR IDENTITY, AND OUR MISSION.