My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 1st. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through YouTube on our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
2 Timothy 4:9–22
- Looking at the lives of these individuals should teach us many things.
- The importance of the body of Christ
- The idea of each one doing their part for the Kingdom
- The importance of one another
- All are called but not all are called to do the same thing
- Faithfulness to Christ and the Gospel is the key to finishing faithful.
- Living a legacy life… impacting others as we live for the Lord
Come to me soon.
- True child in the faith 1 Tim. 1:2
- Beloved child. 2 Tim. 1:2
- A man of sincere faith. 1 Tim. 1:5
- Close companion and worker with Paul
- Loved serving the Lord and His Church. 1 Cor.4:17, Phil 2:19
- Eventually imprisoned himself Heb. 13:23
- Was a fellow worker. Col. 4:14, Philemon 24
- Deserted Paul
- Loved the world
- Did not finish faithfully
- Sent by Paul to Galatia
- Faithful and willing to go
- Longtime faithful companion to Paul.
- Pastor/Elder in Crete Titus 1:5
- Servant of God. Titus 1:1
- Sent to Dalmatia (modern Yugoslavia
- the beloved physician. Col. 4:14
- Longtime companion of Paul (SO FAITHFUL TO HIM AND THE WORK)
- Author of the Gospel of Luke and Acts
- Cousin of Barnabas
- Partner with Paul on 1st journey. Acts 13
- Due to some issues was not allowed to go on 2nd journey. Acts 15
- Yet here is considered “useful for ministry”
- A great example of maturing in the faith and finishing well!
- Learn from mistakes. Never give up. PRESS ON!
- From Asia. Acts 20
- With Paul in 1st imprisonment. Eph 6:21, Col. 4:7
- Sent to Crete to relieve Titus. Titus 3:12
- Now sent to Ephesus to relieve Timothy
- Faithful, willing and able to replace others. (Replacements may not get the glory)
- Keeper of Paul’s cloak and books.
- A trustworthy servant
- Did great harm to Paul and his ministry
- Opposed the message
Prisca and Aquila
- Husband and wife team
- Assisted Paul often Acts 18. Rom. 16, 1 Cor. 16:19
- Refreshed Paul and not ashamed of his chains. 2 Tim. 1:16
- Could be the city treasure in Corinth. Rom. 16:23
- Friend of Tychicus. Acts 20
- From Ephesus. Acts 21
- With Paul when riot erupted. In Jerusalem. Acts 21
Eubulus, Pudens, Linus, and Claudia
- Unknown to us, but faithful to the Lord
- Is at the end of his ministry and is lonely, cold, and without his possessions.
- This is not the picture of success and ending well…or is it?
- YES IT IS, BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT WHO HE WAS IN CHRIST IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
17 But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
THE LORD… THE LORD… HIM BE GLORY FOREVER
A list of names recorded in history.
How would your name fit on this list?
MAY WE LIVE AND FINISH AS ONE OF FAITHFULNESS!
2 Timothy 4:6–8 – 6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. (ESV)
PAUL’S LAST RECORDED WORDS
22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.