My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Aug. 11th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching.
- Written by Paul around AD. 60 to the church in Philippi while in a Roman prison. (Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Philemon)
- Paul came to Philippi on his second missionary journey (the Macedonian call Acts 16)
- Lydia was the first convert
- Paul and Silas arrested…Philippian jailer
- Theme of the letter – Unity and Joy in Christ
- The first couple of verses teaches us much about the people of this special church.
- And much about who we are IN CHRIST TODAY
We are a servant/slave ….to whom….to Jesus Christ.
Col. 3:23 – Do all things heartily as to the Lord, not to men.
(How do we do everything heartily… we do so because it is done out of joy and purpose)
John 12:26 – If anyone serves me let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor. (WE MUST LOSE to GAIN)
- We do all because we are His
- We will have His presence and His blessings
- Bondservant – Permanent, Total, Willingly, Obedience
We are set-apart and special. WE ARE HOLY. Holy means different not odd or weird different. We are different not by what we can do but rather by what He has done and who we are.
Key to being a saint is in understanding the word SANCTIFICATION
- Justification deals with our legal standing before God.
- Sanctification is living the life out.
- Glorification is our eternal heavenly life.
Initially at salvation
- Titus 3:5 – We have been washed, regenerated, and renewed in the Spirit.
- God’s Part
Progressively throughout life
- 1 Tim. 4:7 – “Discipline yourselves for the purpose of Godliness.”
- Continuous through out life…on-going
- Not perfected in this life
- Our Part
- Bible study, prayer, fellowship, worship, witnessing, serving
- The church is a specific place and people-Church is not a state of mind, a place in the woods or golf course. A New Testament church has a specific location.
- The church was established and set up to help us live the Christian life out (to help us become a better servant and saint)
- It provides a FAMILY
- It provides a FAMILY
The key is Grace & Peace
It takes the grace of God for us to receive the peace of life.
- We can have a loving master
- We can be a special people
- We can have a place to live our life out