My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Aug. 25th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tbcmacon We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wed evening at TBC YouTube
3 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. 6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. 7 It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. 8 For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. 9 And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
- Paul was thankful for the church
- Paul was praying for the church
- Because of their faith
- Because of the continuing life of faith.
- A perfect example of knowing the Lord
- A perfect example of growing in the Lord
They were are church of real faith – vv.3-8
Paul was full of joy and confidence because of their faith.
Joy – Over their partnership in the Gospel
- Participation, Agreement with, Union, Part of
- They had embraced the love of, forgiveness of, union with Jesus Christ.
Confident – Of the completed work of Christ
- In what has begun will brought to completion
- What God has started will be brought to completion. God does not make mistakes. He saved us to use us…to glorify Him but to also impact others.
I know that I am saved. I know who I am. I have joy and confidence that I am a follower of Jesus Christ.
Because of the Grace of God
- Partakers of Grace
- Eph. 2:8-10
- Confirmed in the Gospel
They were a church of a growing faith – vv.9-11
They had a desire and longing for growing
Notice what Paul’s request was for:
That you may have a growing love for (Christ & others) in all knowledge and discernment
- Abound more and more
- Knowledge and Discernment
- That we may approve the things that are excellent
- That we may be pure and blameless…till the day of Christ
- That we may be filled (living out) with the fruits of righteousness from Jesus Christ
- That we may live for the glory and praise of God