My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug 29th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube
1 Timothy 4:11-16
- What is Doctrine?
- Why is Doctrine so important?
- How should we conduct ourselves as a church?
- Is there a difference from believing in Jesus and believing in what the Bible teaches? (just getting people saved)
- Culturally, then and now, the issue was people drifting from the things of God to the things of the world.
- “If we do not stand for something we will fall for everything”
- THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED ABSOLUTE TRUTH
- The goal is not UNITY AT ALL COST, but TRUTH AT ALL COSTS
- HOW DO WE DO THIS?
We Guard that THE TRUTH as a gift from God
Command – (present/continuous)
- To pass along the announcement from a superior
- From the authority given by God.
- Not an option (it is not what Jon thinks…it is what God has said)
- The Foundation of the Church
2 Timothy 1:13–14 – Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. (ESV)
WE ARE AMBASSADORS OF CHRIST (We represent KING JESUS! OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF!)
- 2 Corinthians 5:20 – Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. (ESV)
We Teach THE TRUTH in every aspect of the church life
11b teach these things
Teach – (present/continuous)
- Instruct by mouth
- Every level – Pulpit/Classroom
- In all our discipleship relationships
- One on Some
- One on One
We Stand Firm on THE TRUTH in the midst of opposition
12a Let no one despise you for your youth,
Let no one despise you
- For believing and teaching the truth
- Except resistance
- Do not waiver. THE WORLD WILL CONTINUE TO CHANGE… WE CANNOT!
How do we respond?
- Speak the truth in love – Eph. 4:15
- Context is unity and maturity
- We speak truth because we love
We Live Out THE TRUTH in our daily life
12b but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. 14 Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 15 Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. 16 Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.
Set an example in
- OUR CHARACTER
- Speech, conduct, love, faith, purity
- What we say, How we live (Before God and others)
- Words, Actions, Relationships
- Our Purpose, Our Passion, love for, trust in the Word and our responsibility to honor it.
- Public Reading
- Exhortation – with an expectation of hearing and obeying.
- Teaching – Detail explanation.
- Notice the dynamics
- Broad to narrow
As a preacher, small group teacher, parent, OUR ANY LEADER… do we understand the importance of the WORD and the importance of HOW WE HANDLE IT,
Do not neglect the gift (charis – grace gift)
- Practice these things
- Immerser yourself
- Keep a close watch – yourself and the teaching
BY DOING SO… Save yourself and hearers.
Why is Doctrine important… because all eternity is at stake!
- DOCTRINE was the difference between what the Pharisee’s were teaching compared to what Christ and His disciples were teaching.
- DOCTRINE is what we believe. What our faith is based upon.
- DOCTRINE is what separates us from the unsaved world