My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Sept. 15th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wednesday evening at TAB YouTube
Philippians 1:27–30 –  Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,  and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.  For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,  engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have. (ESV)
- You could consider this section (1:27-2:18) the heart of the letter to the church at Philippi.
- vv. 27-30 is the first of four appeals.
- Paul wanted to hear that the church in Philippi was LIVING WORTHY OF THE GOSPEL
- That should also be our desire… that we WOULD LIVE WORTHY OF THE GOSPEL
An Appeal to Live Worthy of the Gospel – vv. 1:27-30
How can we live worthy of the Gospel?
- Live as a proud citizen (romans were proud people)
- Living a consistent life…based on the Gospel.
- Gospel saves and transforms
- Initially and ongoing
Stand firm in one spirit and one mind – v. 27a
- Make a stand. (Soldier… hold the line. Guard your post)
- ONE – togetherness
- Heart and Mind
- Individually = Congregation. So goes the individual, so goes the church
- Believing in something!
- Fighting for something!
- Our beliefs and convictions.
- The truths we stand for.
Strive together for the faith – v. 27b
- Struggle together
- Once we are unified then…Joining arms and “Living out the Gospel”
- Work, commitment, our passions
- Labor of love
- Something worth the work and effort
Suffer for His Sake – vv. 28-30
- Not fearful in the midst of persecution
- Jesus suffered. If it was good enough for Jesus… it is good enough for me.
- It will come…the Bible is full of those that have faced the attacks of the enemy.
- It is an incredible honor to suffer for Jesus sake!
Remember, it is not our ability to stand, strive, and suffer that allows us to live the worthy life.
It is not about us… It is about CHRIST
We are only able to Stand, Strive, and Suffer because of the finished work of Christ.