My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Nov. 3rd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wednesday evening at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer Lists and other resources at our Church Website.
 Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is no trouble to me and is safe for you.  Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh.  For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh— though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more:  circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee;  as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless.  But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ  and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,  that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. (ESV)
Rejoice in the Lord – v. 3:1
- Looks forward and summarizes Chap. 3
Stand firm thus in the Lord – v. 4:1
- Looks backward and summarizes Chap. 3.
A clear warning against false teaching and living
Finding our joy in Grace and Not Works
The dangers of the wisdom of the world
Rejoice in the Lord – v. 1
- Our goal – TRUE JOY IN THE LORD
Look out for wrong thinking– v. 2
- Beware of anything that takes away from the true Gospel.
- Legalism, Modernism, Narcissism, Universalism
- Anything that takes aware from the joy, power, and promises of the good news of redemption and sanctification that is found in Christ.
- WRONG THINKING LEADS TO WRONG LIVING
For we are the redeemed in Christ – vv. 3-6
People who fear and love God
Worship by the Spirit
- We have a relationship with Him
- We acknowledge Him (For who He is)
- We honor Him
And Glory in the Faith of Christ
- Remember who we are IN CHRIST
- Our Savior and Lord
Who put no confidence in the flesh
- I do not believe in me. NO CONFIDENCE
- I am redeemed…but me is still in there
- A life of confidence – not in me but in Him
- Rather, it is HIM THROUGH ME
I count the old self as meaningless – vv. 7-8a
Counted as loss for the sake of Christ
- Who I was has no value.
- Remember, not us and our power, but HIM!
- Surpassing – Christ/The Gospel
- Rubbish – My life without Christ/The Gospel
So that I may gain Christ – vv. 8b-11
Which comes through faith in Christ
- By grace through faith – Eph. 2:8
And being found in Him
- Righteousness – Right standing before God
- Our justification
- Power – To live the life out
- Worship, Living for His glory, Serving, Sharing
- Our sanctification
- Suffering – the essence of living the Christian life
- Living through things we would not choose to encounter
- Living faithful in a fallen world
- When we live through suffering. (the valley of the shadow of death) we are learning what it is to BELIEVE AND TRUST AND LEARN AND SHARE
- Resurrection from the dead
- Our glorification
- Fulfillment of our salvation in our resurrection bodies.