My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Nov. 10th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wednesday evening at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer Lists and other resources at our Church Website.
Philippians 3:12-4:1  Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.  Only let us hold true to what we have attained.  Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.  For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.  Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.  But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,  who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. (ESV)  Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. (ESV)
- Remember… Paul’s desire for true righteousness found in Christ vv. 3:7-11
- Counted as loss everything to know Christ
- To gain Christ
- To be found in Him, not have a righteousness of my own
- Know Him and the power of His resurrection
- Share in His sufferings
- Attain the resurrection from the dead
- Do we have the same desire to grow in our righteousness?
We are not there yet – v. 12a
- We have not obtained it yet….3:7-11
- We are not perfect
- We must continue to grow and change
Press on to make it your own – v.12b
- To pursue…A new direction
- Here is where our spiritual life comes in.
- Press on make it my own.
HOW to PRESS ON
Forget what lies behind v. 13
- Don’t glory in the past victories
- Don’t wallow in the past sins
Strain forward to what lies ahead v. 13
- Already in Christ, but growing Christ
- Progressive sanctification
- STRAIN. Effort!!!!
- Not there yet. Keep moving. Growing everyday
Remain faithful to the GOSPEL v. :16
- Hold true to what we have attained
Imitate faithful followers v. 17
- The idea of each one of us “making disciples”
- I am followings someone…someone is following me
Avoid the influence of the ungodly – vv. 18-19
- Enemies of the cross
- Their end is destruction
- Worship and Glory…SELF
- Mind on earthly things
Live as kingdom citizens – v. 20a
- Be proud of your heritage!
- The balance between the good things (on earth) and the best things (kingdom perspective)
Await our coming Savior – vv.20b-21
- Patiently but with great expectation
- Anticipating… our eyes toward heaven
Stand firm in the Lord – 4:1
- Brothers… the church family.
- A military term…at your post
- Doing what you are called to do