My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Dec. 5th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List and other resources at our Church Website.
- Gabriel has shared the news of the coming births. Gabriel shares the news:
- Luke – 1:8-24 – To Zechariah and Elizabeth about John the Baptist
- Luke 1:26-38 – To Mary about Jesus
- Mary visits Elizabeth in the 6th month.
- The visit confirms the promises set forth by Gabriel (by the presence of the Holy Spirit).
- Mary would not have had a personal copy of Scripture, but she obviously was well versed in Hannah’s song in 1 Sam. There is also much from the Psalms throughout her praise.
- Mary’s song points to her understanding of GOD’S GRACE
- GOD’S GRACE SPECIFICALLY WITH THE COMING OF JESUS CHRIST
God’s gift of grace upon Mary – v. 47-49
Mary is praising the LORD.
- She understood what God had done for her
- God’s work specifically in Mary’s life (Personal relationship with His!)
My soul magnifies the Lord … my spirit rejoices in God– v. 47
Soul and Spirit
- Mary’s very essence
- A manifestation of who she was
- Her fruit… the fruit of the redeemed is WORSHIP
- True praise is always manifested by truth and focused on God.
Magnifies the Lord
- makes large, makes great
Rejoices in God my Savior
- has joy of who SHE KNOWS SHE IS IN RELATIONSHIP WITH HER LORD.
- Her joy and her relationship are one in the same
- IN GOD HER SAVIOR. She knew she needed a Savior
Jesus himself would later teach this
- John 4:22–24 –  You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.  But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.  God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (ESV)
BECAUSE SHE REALIZES WHAT GOD HAS DONE!!!!
For he has looked on the humble estate of his servant
- A wonderful understanding of GRACE
- She grasped the GREATNESS OF GLORY OF GOD BECAUSE OF HIS GLORIOUS GRACE
All generations will call me blessed – v.48
- His Sovereignty– v. 49
- His Holiness – v. 49
- She knew that her blessings were a result of God and who He is.
- HIS MIGHT AND HIS HOLINESS
God’s gift of grace through redemptive history – vv. 50-53
God’s redemptive work in all of history (General revelation…general grace and goodness upon mankind)
His mercy is for those who fear Him from generation to generation – v. 50
- Past, Present, Future
- He has shown strength with his arm
- he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts
- he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate
- he has filled the hungry with good things and the rich he has sent away empty
- God’s involvement through all of history
God’s gift of grace for His covenant people – vv. 54-55
God’s work for His specific people (specific revelation / specific grace)
Helped His servant Israel
- Mary knew all that God had done in the life of His people.
- He led, guided, protected, cared for, disciplined, and restored.
to Abraham and to his offspring forever – v.55
- The genealogy of Matthew 1 reminds us of God’s plan of redemption.
- Abraham, David
Throughout redemption history God has been faithful. He has kept His promises and accomplished His perfect will. From the very beginning this has been His plan.
And now in the coming of the Jesus Christ… we see God’s grace on full display.
Romans 3:21–26 –  But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,  and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,  whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.  It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (ESV)
Ephesians 1:7 – In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace
Ephesians 2:8 – For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,