My teaching notes for Wednesday night, Jan. 5th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook at Tabernacle Facebook Page. We also provide the services through YouTube later on Wednesday evening at TAB YouTube. You can also find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer Lists and other resources at our Church Website.
Here is a link to part 1 – https://pastorjonbeck.com/2021/12/08/philippians-410-23-people-of-contentment-part-1/
“For I have learned in whatever situation I am in to be content”
- Satisfied. OK with what is going on.
- Not looking for something else and focusing on the now.
- Not grumbling or whining but living and praising.
When we are people who tend to live in discontentment, we are demonstrating the issues within our heart:
- Placing our wants before our needs.
- I desire this
- I deserve this
- We are demonstrating a small view of God
- Is God really God?
- Is He really in control (sovereign)?
- Does He really know what is best?
- Can I trust Him?
- We live with a small view of the future
- Everything is based on the present
Listen to yourself – Am I negative more than positive about life
Listen to your prayers – What am I praying for?
- More needs or more praise.
We must get to the point that we begin to thank God for our circumstances and ask Him to use them to change us as we glorify Him.
The Providence of God – v. 12
I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need
Providence – God from eternity, decrees or permits all things that come to pass, and perpetually upholds, directs and governs all creatures and all events; yet so as not to destroy the free will and responsibility of intelligent creatures. (Abstract of Principles 1858) https://www.sbts.edu/about/abstract/
- Whether low or high
- Wherever I am
- Whatever I am doing
3 Reasons for our particular circumstances
- Previous unwise decisions
- God’s divine plan
- The fallen world we live in
Regardless of the reasons the answer to contentment is the same. I must turn to God and find my hope in Christ
The Power of God – v. 13
I can do all things through him who strengthens me
- “I can do all things”
- Think about the context of the verse. THIS DOES NOT MEAN JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING REALLY BAD… THEN GOD WILL ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN
- THIS IS ABOUT LEARN TO BE CONTENT IN ALL THINGS!
- “through Christ”
- Depending on His strength
The Provision of God – v. 19
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
God will always meet your needs (not wants)
The key is our knowing and our growing. Knowing Him and Growing in Him.
Know…an assurance of salvation
- repented of your sin
- place your faith and trust in God
- entered into a new covenant relationship with Him
Growing in the relationship
Living for Him
- Following after Him
- Trusting in Him