My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Feb. 20th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find our Worship Guides, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.  But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.  For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?  God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.” (ESV)
- This week is “Tough Love” part 2.
- God is concerned about who we are as a church…about our fellowship with Him…about our influence as a church.
- TWO THINGS
- We are to be in the world, but not of it.
- God desires for His Church to strive toward holiness (not perfect, but blameless)
- GOD IS HOLY AND WE NEED TO REFLECT HIS HOLINESS 1 Peter 1:13-16
- It does matter HOW we live and WHO we do life with
- Let us consider these three words as we apply God’s Word to our life this morning.
- AS WE DO CONSIDER THIS… Our Attitude AS A CHURCH BECOMES THE CULTURE OF OUR CHURCH
- (PROACTIVE OUR REACTIVE)
ASSOCIATE – vv. 9-11
Mix Up Together. Intimate. Close in relationships
We are not to be isolated
- They had pulled away from the worldly influence, yet were allowing the world to influence the Church
- We cannot avoid contact, but we should avoid contamination
- Phil 2:15
- Acts 1:8
(This Wednesday night we will consider the balance of living IN but not being OF the world)
But we are to be separated
- Bears the name of brother
- Not those outside the faith – But those within the body of Christ
- Sexual immorality, Greed, Idolater, reviler, drunkard, swindler
- On-going, openly living contrary to God’s Will.
- Friendships that agree
- Meals at that time were a sign of acceptance and fellowship
JUDGE – v.12
To discern right or wrong
The measuring rod is the WORD OF GOD
- Not just my opinion
- Not having a judgmental spirit
- STATING A FACT
- Calling something what God calls it (Sin)
PURGE – v. 13
To take away. Complete removal
The evil from among you
- the importance of holiness.
- BECAUSE HE IS HOLY
- If we tolerate… are we agreeing?
TO ME… it is an ATTITUDE and EXPECTATION on the front end that then becomes the CULTURE of the Church.
Too often we ignore the front end and then we are left with a mess.
- A perfect example is the raising of children
It is clear God wants us to take seriously our relationships within the church. WHY?
So that we can be a holy church (The Church God is calling us to be)
- Blessed Church
- God Honoring Church
- Loving Church
- Caring Church
- A Disciple Making Church
- Where people are being changed
Tough Love is Tough Love for a Reason.
- Do we have people within our church that love us enough to care?
- That love us enough to walk with us. Pray for us.
- To encourage and admonish.
- To disciple us as we disciple others
KEY IS BEING PROACTIVE… NOT REACTIVE
- Instead of dealing with things once they are bad.
- We have a culture of Biblical love, encouragement, and discipleship
- (Just like raising our children…SAME CONCEPT!)