My sermon notes for Sunday morning, April 3rd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- Over the next couple of Sunday’s and Wednesday’s we are going to look at the major events of the days leading up to the crucifixtion.
- The only public demonstration Christ allowed.
- Mentioned in all the Gospels
- Jesus entering Jerusalem the Sunday before His crucifixion
- Is fulfillment of OT prophecy
- Jesus is the righteous redeeming, King!
The significance of this setting on this day.
Pilgrims from outside Judea
Locals from the area
- Would have been part of the crowd when Lazarus was raised from the dead.
- Never understand who He is, where He is from, why He came.
Spreading Cloaks and Palm branches
- treatment of royalty/King
He is king. At his birth. HE IS KING. THE WISE MEN. HE IS KING. His last public entrance into the city. HE IS KING
Gen 49:9-11 – Jacobs prophecy for his descendants on the last days. The scepter/ruler will not depart from Judah. Vine – Israel. Choice vine – Christ.
Dan 9:24-27 – Israel’s captivity in Babylon. The time form then to the time of their transgressions should be finished and everlasting righteousness brought in.
Zech. 9:9 – The donkey. Young. Never ridden. In the sacrificial law it must be an animal that has never been worked.
Exodus 12 – The redemption of Israel from slavery… by the blood a a lamb. The TRUE LAMB OF GOD would be sacrificed during the time of the Passover.
ROCKS will CRY OUT (Luke) – The Ushering in of the King
Peace and Victory
- Welcome Him with palm branches as garments as a symbol of peace and victory. Rev. 7:9.
- They were hoping that Jesus would bring peace, yet Jesus knew of all the struggles that lay ahead.
- Angels at His birth – “Peace on Earth” Luke 2:12-14
- Crowd proclaimed – “Peace in Heaven” Luke 19:38
- Hosanna – “Save”
Reign and rule
The Now (coming into Jerusalem) and the Not Yet (His Second Coming) – Revelation 19:11–16
- He will come in glory
- The armies of heaven will accompany Him
- As great ruler and judge
- Scene of true victory as He establishes His Kingdom
Think about that day…
- It DID fulfill Scripture
- It DID usher in the Kingdom of Christ
- v.11 – WHO IS THIS?
- They honored Him as king… YET, the reaction was not true. They honored him with their lips, but not their heart. Matthew 15:8-9