My sermon notes for Sunday morning, April 17th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- Resurrection Sunday is upon us!
- Friday at our luncheon we consider Jesus’ words on the cross… IT IS FINISHED John 19:30
- He completed the task prophesied in the OT. Isaiah 53:1-12
- He competed the task. He made all things NEW. Rev 21:5 (already and not yet)
- That is great news for us today. To have a relationship with Christ makes ALL THINGS NEW. WE BECOME AND LIVE A NEW CREATIONS.
- Let us consider the great truths from the events of His glorious resurrection.
- Easter Sunday is not an event… it is all about a personal relationship
- A relationship that offers… Rest, Forgiveness, Victory, Assurance, and Satisfaction
First day of the week – v. 1
- Lord’s Day. (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday morning – 3 days)
- Sabbath was a day of rest after the finished work of the OT. CREATION
- Lord’s Day is the finished work of the NT. NEW CREATION
- Sabbath Rest was a temporary… Jesus is a permanent rest
- Hebrews 4:9-11
Mary Magdalene – v. 1
- Much indebted to Christ for the forgiveness of sin.
- She was so devoted to her REDEEMER
- THIS IS MISSING TODAY. WE THINK SO LITTLE OF OUR SAVIOR BECAUSE WE THINK SO LITTLE OF OUR SIN.
Earthquake – v. 2
- At his crucifixion Matt. 27:51
- At his resurrection (the aftershock!)
- It points to the supernatural, the power
- IT IS FINISHED. Nothing else needs to be done.
- FAITH IS THE VICTORY.
The Angle and the Stone – v. 2
- Lazarus stone was rolled way by man. Jesus’s stone was rolled away by God/angels.
- Lazarus stone was rolled away so he could come out. Jesus stone was rolled away so they could look in
- Do not fear
- He has risen
- Come and see
- Grave clothes not in disarray (not taken)
- The language conveys that they were still in the form of a body. No unwrapping.
- LAZARUS NEEDED HELP WITH HIS GRAVE CLOTHS, JESUS DID NOT.
- Go and tell
The Words from Christ – v.9
- Greetings “JOY TO YOU”
- And they worship Him
- JOYFUL WORSHIP