My sermon notes for Sunday morning, July 10th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Corinthians 11:2-16
- Remember the previous section… teaching on our freedoms in Christ
- Here we see Paul begin a section teaching on the importance of worship vv. 11:2-14:40
- Particularly here… Head coverings in worship v. 11:2-16
- Their liberties were beginning to impact the purity of the church.
- Women were treated much better and given many more rights within the church as compared in society
- Women were treated as second class citizens (consider the Middle East today
- Where they pushing their liberties too far?
- Culture then… Culture now
First things first… let us read the text and I will provide a running commentary
Here are few things as we consider the content of the text
God is our creator
- He is the creator, and we are the created
- He rules and reign over His creation
- Gen 2
- v. 18 – Not good for man to be alone. I will make him a helper fit for him.
- v. 20 – for Adam there was not found a helper fit for him.
- v. 24 – Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
- Man was created first
- Not good to be alone
- God provided a partner/helper.
- Men and women are created differently
- A perfect fit (complement each other)
- Two coming together to form one.
- Ephesians 5:22-33 – The picture of marriage
The Consideration of Primary and Secondary Issues
- We often hear. What does it matter? Why make a big deal about it?
- It distracts us from the main thing. It has nothing to do with how someone is saved.
- What is at stake is the inerrancy, infallibility, and sufficiency of Scripture… and the is not a secondary issue.
God’s plan (order, role, purpose)
- Jesus did not send the Father but the other way around. 1 Cor. 15:24-28
- Christ submitted to the will of the Father John 6:38
- The Church today
- The Family today
- Look at our society today
- Women, Men, Children… they are deciding who they want to be
- This is a direct defiance to who God made us to be.
- Our Society today
- Little respect for authority
- Coaches, Teachers, Civil Authority (My how things have changed)
- SO GOES THE CHURCH… SO GOES SOCIETY
- We are equal in value, personal worth, and spirituality before God, but we are made different.
- With this comes the idea of responsibility and purpose (we complement each other)
- We should find our joy in who God has created and called us to be.
- Finding our joy and purpose in Christ.
- Jesus is enough