Nehemiah 8:1-18 – Revival in the Land
My sermon notes for Wednesday night, Aug 24th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- The wall is finished.
- Now Nehemiah prepares the people to succeed
- Chapters 8–13 is the preparation of the spiritual people
- A spiritual revival
- The Keys to Revival in the land
For Further STUDY
Application of the Word (Questions to ask as you read and study the Word)
- Is there an example for me to follow?
- Is there a sin to avoid/confess?
- Is there a promise to claim?
- Is there a prayer to repeat?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there a condition to meet?
- Is there a verse to memorize?
- Is there an error to avoid?
- Is there a challenge to face?
- Is there a principle to apply?
- Is there a habit to change? Stop/Start
- Is there an attitude to correct?
- Is there a truth to believe?
- Sin to confess
- Promise to claim
- Attitude to change
- Command to obey
- Example to follow
Lift High the Word of God – vv.1–8
Hear and Believe IT AS THE WORD
Ezra – Read, Taught
- Deut. 31:10-13
- Morning from mid-day
- Elevated before the people
- Opened the book of law
People – Gathered and listened.
- Received as the WORD OF GOD
“The primary task of the church and of the Christian minister is the preaching of the Word of God,” said Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. “The decadent periods and eras in the history of the church have always been those periods when preaching had declined” (Preaching and Preachers, pp. 19, 24)
Look Within – vv. 9–12
Wept over their sin
- Sorrow over their past mistakes
Rejoiced over God’s faithfulness
- God always blesses obedience
- Change of circumstances
- Change our attitude in the midst of circumstances
THEY UNDERSTOOD THE WORD AND REJOICED
Remember the Word – vv. 13–18
Obeying /Living Out the WORD
Studied the Word
- The purpose of study is to learn
- Who God is
- How we live based on who God is
Obeyed the Word