My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Aug. 16th as we walk through the book of Deuteronomy. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- Deuteronomy 4:1-43 is the conclusion of Moses’ first message. He is preparing them for life in the land.
- The physical journey will end, but the spiritual/relational journey is on-going.
- God is calling His people to live as recipients of His covenant love demonstrated by a life that please their redeemer.
Over the next couple of weeks we will consider 4 truths we need to apply to our life as WE LIVE IN THE LAND as new covenant believers and followers of Jesus Christ.
Listen – vv. 1-2
These 2 verses could be considered a summary of the entire chapter
Listen to the statutes and rules that I am teaching you
- Why would we not want to listen…I AM TEACHING YOU.
- Psalm 33:1-9 – The world was spoken into creation.
- Romans 10:17 – Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
Do them, so that you may live
- My concern is we are getting away from preaching and teaching (true biblical authority)
- We hear and do SO THAT WE MAY LIVE
- 1 John 5:1-5 – Not burdensome
Go in and take the land
- GOING and OBTAINING
- FAITH, OBEDIENCE, & VICTORY
Obeying the Lord becomes a joyful privilege when you realize that His commandments are an expression of His love, and assurance of His strength, invitations to His blessing, opportunities to grow and bring Him glory, and occasions to enjoy His love and fellowship as we seek to please Him. GOD’S WORD IS THE OPEN DOOR INTO THE TREASURY OF HIS GRACE. (Warren Wiersbe)
Fear – vv. 3-8
(3 results of a proper fear of God)
Your eyes have seen what the LORD did at Baal-peor, for the LORD your God destroyed from among you all the men who followed the Baal of Peor. – v.3
- Numbers 25:1-9
- Because of their sin of idolatry. They accepted the invitation to participate at one of the Moabite feasts.
- Because of their friendship with the ways of the world God judged 24,000 men
But you who hold fast to the Lord – v. 4
A proper fear will keep us from sin
To fear is to respect. A Holy Fear.
- Who He is
- What He is
A Holy Fear will KEEP US CLOSE AND CLEAN
- Friendly to the world – James 4:4
- Loving the world – 1 John 2:15-17
- Conformed by the world – Romans 12:1-2
 Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’  For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as the LORD our God is to us, whenever we call upon him?  And what great nation is there, that has statutes and rules so righteous as all this law that I set before you today? – vv. 6-8
A proper fear will lead to understanding and wisdom.
- That you may do
- Applying what we know to our decisions.
- Keep and Do. Ongoing. That will be...
A proper fear will lead to purpose and blessing.
- Surely this is a great nation – v. 7
- Statutes and rules so righteous – v. 8
- Love of right
- Trust in
- Lean not
- Be not wise
- Fear the Lord
- Turn from Evil
- He will make your path straight
- Healing to your flesh
- Refreshment to your bones