My sermon notes for Sunday, April 15th as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
 When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.  If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once.  Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
 Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.”  Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”  Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times. (ESV)
Judas has exited and know Jesus begins His farewell address to the disciples. (13:31 to chapter 16)
- Instruction, promises, warnings, commands.
He is laying the foundation for what is at the heart of the life of a disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Love by the example of God the Father and God the Son
Verse 31-32 – Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once.
Verse 34-35 – A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
To Glorify. To Love.
God was glorified at Calvary. Jesus was glorified at Calvary. The life, death, burial, resurrection, and exaltation of Jesus Christ brought glory to God the Father, Son, and Spirit. And in turn became a great example and picture of love. I MUST GO…A NEW COMMANDMENT I GIVE TO YOU. LOVE ONE ANOTHER as I HAVE LOVE YOU.
The Love of the Father – vv. 31-32
God’s holiness – His holy hatred over sin. Jesus words. My God, My God why have you forsaken me.
God’s faithfulness – Isaiah 53 – Leading a lamb to slaughter
God’s power – Over Satan. Over the stronghold of sin.
The Love of the Son – vv. 31-32
Shown at the cross
John 10:11 –  I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (ESV)
- He went – His was a servant
- He paid the price – It satisfied the wrath of God
Shown at the throne
Our victory and Our hope!
- Philippians 2:6–11 –  who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,  but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.  And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.  Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,  so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (ESV)
- 12:1-2 –  Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking to Jesus, the founder and – perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (ESV)
- Romans 8:34–35 –  Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? (ESV)
The Love of a disciple – vv. 33-38
- Little children
- Waited for Judas to leave before he used this term. HE KNOWS HIS OWN.
- Different than the old. 6:5 –  You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. (ESV)
- Not a perfect law driven love, but a perfect grace and mercy filled love. Only because of what we have seen in Christ. He is the example of love.
- Selfless, sacrificial, Spirit empowered
- Only because what has been accomplished by Christ
- Romans 1:1-5
- WE CAN DO IT. HE HAS GIVEN US AN EXAMPLE
- Eph 5:2 – Walk in Love, as Christ loved us and gave himself for us.
Love me and Love others
- If you love me
- You will follow me
- If you love me you will love others
Jesus – Other. Others – Jesus
Frances Schaffer – We should be a loving church in a dying culture.
A.W. Pink – Love is the badge of Christian discipleship. It is not knowledge, nor orthodoxy, nor fleshly activities, but love which identifies a follower of the Lord Jesus
- God knows our heart
- If he gets the heart, he will get the life
- Peter DID deny Him, but God did restore him.
- A beautiful picture of progressive sanctification.
- Peter sinned. Peter confessed. Peter changed. GOD used Peter in a mighty way
1 Peter 1:22-23 –  Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart,  since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; (ESV)
Peter understood brotherly love because he had experienced the Lord’s love.