My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Mar. 14th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided to help you follow the sermon as you listen each week. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:45 on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firstbaptistavonpark/ We also provide the services through our website by Sunday afternoon at www.fbcap.net
- What we treasure is what we value. (this is obvious)
- Our heart, determines our mind, which determines our values and priorities.
- The hypocrites have a faulty “world view” (how they processed the world)
- They had faulty views of:
- THEN – God – Themselves – His Law/Word/Teaching
- KNOW – THAT…Plus – The Gospel – The Church
Therefore, their values and priorities were off.
- They valued
- Prestige – Popularity – Positions – Possessions
Jesus is encouraging His hearers to examine their hearts… to see their treasures… their priorities… their values. WHAT THEY ARE STORING UP!
Our Heart – vv. 19-21
Laying up treasures
- Treasure up Treasures (Lay-up and Treasure come from same root word)
- Temporary – Tangible
- “Making Memories” (Funeral example)
- Luke 12:16-21- Rich man storing up for future
- His storing up… indicates his heart
- Stockpiling – You have enough, but you keep obtaining.
FOR where the treasure is, there your heart will be also
Matt 13:44 – This MAN SELLS ALL TO ACQUIRE the treasure. The worth of being a “Kingdom Citizen”
- Areas we need to be consider how we are storing up
- Our Time – Our Talent – Our Treasures
1 Timothy 6:6–12 – Contentment, Desire for wealth, Temptation
- WHAT ARE WE INVESTING IN?
- The temporal or the eternal
- We will reap the rewards of our investment.
Colossians 3:23–25 –  Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,  knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.  For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality. (ESV)
Our Focus (Vision) – vv. 22-23
- Light – Good, Pure, Right
- Direction, Discovery
- Dark – Bad,
- Sinful, Lostness, Despair
- Eye is Bad – Your vision
- Our Purpose – CLEAR VISION. KNOW WHERE I AM GOING!
- Our Values – What is important to us for the journey.
- WHAT YOU SEE. HOW YOU PROCESS THE WORLD
- Whole body is in darkness.
- John 3:16-21 – Light, dark, What man loves.
Our Master – v. 24
- Cannot serve two masters
- Our allegiance
- What controls us. We are answer to.
- KEY WORD SERVE
- You can ONLY be TRULY FAITHFUL TO ONE.
- Think of a Roman soldier. (Treason, Spies)
All three are basically a picture of the whole self:
- When He is Lord
- Our Heart is Right
- Our Vision is Right
- Our life is Right
Romans 10:9–11 –  because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.  For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” (ESV)
Ephesians 1:16–23 –  I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers,  that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,  having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,  and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might  that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,  far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.  And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church,  which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all. (ESV)
- As we acknowledge who Christ is (His Lordship) then we have ACCESS to the knowledge, blessings, and power of God (John 14:6, Temple veil)
Luke 12:16–21 –  And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully,  and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’  And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.  And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’  But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’  So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.” (ESV)
Matthew 13:44 –  “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. (ESV)
1 Timothy 6:6–12 –  But godliness with contentment is great gain,  for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.  But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
 But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.  Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (ESV)
John 3:16–21 –  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.  Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.  And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.  For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.  But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.” (ESV)