“Wednesday’s Word” teaching notes for Wednesday, April 28th. We are currently working through the book of Psalms. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the teaching.
- Royal Psalm – A song of royal hope.
- The Ruling King over the Kingdom – THEN
- King David over Israel
- The Ruling King over the Kingdom – NOT YET
- Future Messiah
- After the exile of the nation the people would have understood the Psalm to point to the future Messiah that will come and rule them.
- The problem was that when Christ did come, they were looking for a military and political deliver. They missed their greatest need. THEY NEEDED A REDEEMER.
THE PEOPLES REBELLION – vv. 1-3
The nations rage
- Not God’s people
- Gentiles then… the unconverted now.
- Those opposed to God. Enemies of God.
- Pointless, Empty
Against the LORD
- It is always against God.
Break and Burst from
- Breaking from His Lordship and Rule
- The issue is and always will be… acknowledging His Lordship over our life.
- Rebellious man wants it their way
THE REACTION FROM HEAVEN – vv. 3-6
Sits in heaven
- His majesty and Lordship. Reigning Ruler
- He is so great and so in control.
- The only option in face of their plots… laugh
- We need that perspective today!!!!!
Speaks to them in His wrath
- From laughter to rebuking.
- Who are you to not acknowledge God as God. THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE.
As for me, I have set my King on Zion
- No immediate divine judgement.
- A reminder. I have a plan. I HAVE AN ANOINTED!
- NOW – King David – NOT YET – King Jesus
THE PRESENTATION OF THE KING – vv. 7-9
You are my Son…begotten you
- 2 Sam. 7:8-16 – God’s Covenant with David
- Divine relationship
- Heb. 1:5-6
- Acts 13:33-34 – Paul preaching at Antioch in Pisidia.
Nations your heritage… earth your possession
Then – giving of the land to the tribes of Israel. Their inheritance.
Not yet – The rule of God over all creation. The Lordship of Christ over all the nations.
Break them with rod… dash them in pieces
- A picture of total and complete authority.
- A picture of their frailty
- Divine Judgment
- The Book of Revelation and the return of Christ!
THE WARNING TO THE PEOPLE – vv. 10-12
Be wise, be warned
- Listen, Pay attention
- Count the cost
Serve with fear and rejoice with trembling…Kiss the Son, lest He be angry and you perish
- Honor and Respect
- That is due the King.
Blessed are all who take refuge in Him
- Not immediate judgement but an opportunity for repentance
- God did not judge after EDEN…. HE SENT HIS SON!
- GRACE, GRACE, MARVELOUS GRACE
One thought on “Psalm 2 – “The Reigning King””
Thank you Pastor Jon Beck! We were blessed with this study.