My sermon notes for Sunday night, May 6th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.  Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (ESV)
 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.  For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function,  so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.  Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith;  if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching;  the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. (ESV)
We are the hands and feet of Jesus (WW2 story)
We see throughout scripture…DOING. GOING. FOLLOWING
- Go and make disciples – Matt. 28
- Do greater things – John 14 (in our John series last week)
Verses 1-2 – (this past Wed.) As we present our bodies as living sacrifices, then our actions and usefulness to God will naturally follow. WE WORSHIP and WE DO.
- There is always a balance. One should lead to the other.
Verses 3-6 – Using our life and gifts within the Church
Our attitude – Humility – v. 3
- Grace given to me.
- Think with sober judgment – Keep our mind sound.
- THINK RIGHT… We are saved, but all we have is because of Christ. Him everything, me nothing.
- What can I possibly do without my relationship with Christ.
- Measure of faith God has assigned – the exact amount God gives. MEASURE. THERE IS MORE. I AM NOT IT.
- We are gifted differently. USE YOUR GIFTS… DO NOT USE SOMEONE ELSE’S.
Our relationships – Unity and diversity – vv. 4-5
- Many members, one body, one function
- WE TOO. MANY, ONE, and ONE
- Body Function – LIFE
- Church Function – LIFE
- Knowing, Growing, Going (worship, serve, love, tell)
Our Service – Exercising our gifts – vv. 6-8
- Expounding the Word – gifts 1-4
- Expanding the Work – gifts 5-7
- Gifts – Charisma. Grace – Charis. GRACE GIFTS
- GOD GIVES THEM. BODY CONFIRMS THEM.
- We all have them, but not all of them.
- Talents and Gifts. Born with talents. Gifts are given. Often our talents once given to the Lord open the door for our gifts. Often once saved we are given gifts we could never imagine before.
- The proclamation of the Word of God.
- We tend to think of OT prophets. Key is that THE WORD OF GOD was proclaimed.
- Today, we proclaim the Bible. THUS SAITH THE LORD.
- Not, A fresh word from God, but THE WORD from God.
- Diakonia – serve. Build up. Word in Acts where we get our understanding of Deacon.
- What can I DO. FOR THE CHURCH FOR OTHERS. Easiest and most practical. DO MINISTRY.
- Interpret and explain the Word of God.
- Prophecy could be more the proclaiming of the Word and teaching could be more walking through and explain.
- 1 Tim. 3:2 – able to teach
- 1 Tim. 4:16 – pay close attention to your teaching.
- Parakaleo – Come alongside someone. (this morning. HELPER) pleading, encouraging, warning, strengthening.
- The ability to excite, motivate, advise, encourage, comfort, and warn people.
- Heb. 10:24-25
- Causes action. KNOW, GROW, GO
- Prophesy proclaims truth
- Teaching explains truth
- Exhortation calls believers to obey and follow truth.
- Sharing and imparting that which is one’s own.
- Sincere heart felt giving (opposite is Matt. 6:2 giving. LOOK WHAT I DID)
- Standing before
- THE ABILITY TO lead and govern.
- Diligence – earnestness and zeal.
- Actively demonstrating sympathy, so as to strengthen someone.
- Sensitivity to suffering and needs.
- Feelings that turn to action.
HOW DO WE EXERCISE THESE GIFTS. OUR ATTITUDE
- Sincerity and in simplicity.
- Singleness of heart and without show
- Above and beyond
- haste, desire, and concentrated attention.
- There is no room for laziness, complacency, and irresponsibility in the Kingdom of God and His church. The leaders are the ones who are to blaze the path for the flock of God, and they are to do it with zeal, hard work, and iron determination.
- People enjoy your presence and ministry witin the body.
- Willing to forgiving others.
- Not in a spirit of criticism and rebuke toward the person who needs help.