My sermon notes from Sunday, Oct. 22nd as we continue our study through The Gospel of John. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week or subscribe to the weekly sermon podcast please visit http://www.fbcap.net
So great a salvation
The protestant reformation was a fight for the soul. The essence of what took place was over the validating and clarity of the Gospel.
It allowed these questions to be answered:
- Where does one find true hope?
- How is someone saved?
- What is the message of the church?
- Where is the true voice/word of God?
- Decrees from God (Let there be…)
- Then the Prophets (The Lord God says)
- Then Jesus (The Word became flesh..I am the Father are one)
- Then the Bible
500 years ago a major issue was over authority. Where has God spoken? How does He speak to us? How much authority is found in the “church”? The answer to this and other questions were answered in the 5 Solas (alone, only) SEE BULLETIN
- Scripture is our only foundation.
- We trust scripture alone for our salvation.
- Scripture provides our rule for faith and practice.
THEN: (False beliefs 500 plus years ago)
- The church believed the Bible was infallible, but it also believed it needed infallible leadership to interpret.
- They did not believe it was possible for the “common man” to understand the Word of God… they believed the Church was responsible for that.
- The error of the day stated: The Bible, plus the leadership/pope, plus the tradition of the church.
NOW: (False beliefs from my observations as a pastor)
- God has created me as an individual. I am my authority.
- Just between me and God
- The Spirit within me is my authority
- Experience & Feelings
- Church leadership
- If he says it then I believe it. I cannot understand the Bible so I will just follow and trust him.
- We do what we do and we do not even know why we do it. Our tradition becomes the rule and the norm.
I believe our culture today is like so many cultures in the past …(We like a frog in a kettle of water) Slowly but surely the church begins to drift. Slowly and surely we drift from TRUTH and follow after the WAY OF MAN.
3 Scriptures/Truths that changed my life/That drive my lile
- John 17:1 – Sanctify them in the truth. Your word is truth. (ESV)
- 2 Timothy 3:14-4:5
 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it  and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.  All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,  that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (ESV)
- What to believe
- What not to believe
- What to do
- What not to do
[4:1] I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:  preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.  For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,  and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.  As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. (ESV)
2 Peter 1:3-21
 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,  by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.  For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,  and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,  and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.  For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.  Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.  For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have.  I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder,  since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me.  And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.
 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.  For when he received honor and glory from God the Father, and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,”  we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain.  And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,  knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.  For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (ESV)
Consider the implications of these verses.
- What I need to believe myself.
- What to believe and how to live
- By His divine power…He has given me everything I need to be more like Him (Godliness…more like Him and less like me)
- What I need to teach and preach to others. What I live out.
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME IS THE WORD. AS A PERSON AND AS A PASTOR. SOLA SCRIPTURA. THE WORD ALONE.
The most important thing for us should also be Scripture Alone.
- We should read
- We should trust
2 Tim. 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:3-21
- We study
- Hebrews 4:12-13 –  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (ESV)
- We should meditate
- Psalm 1:1-2
- We live out (We do the Word)
- James 1:22-25 – We do the word