My sermon notes for Sunday morning, Oct 23rd. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Sunday at 10:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube by Sunday afternoon. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
1 Cor 15:35-58 – The Dead in Christ shall rise
- He knew the previous section would lead to questions.
- How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?
- He is now answering those questions.
Our body must die. – vv. 36-38
OUR BODY IS DYING SO THAT IT CAN LIVE
The example of the seed (An agricultural example)
- Pointing out what they knew about producing crops
- A dead seed produces an abundant harvest
- We must live to die
- John 12:23-26
The old must put on the new – vv. 39-49
The example of creation
- They were looking at the natural body and deducing the impossibility.
- And they were right
- People, animals, earth, heaven, sun and moon, stars.
- Each one is very different
God obviously has created different bodies (humans, animals, heavenly) so surely, he can create a RESURRECTED BODY.
- There is the now and the later
- Death and raised to life
- Perishable and imperishable
- Dishonor and glory
- Weakness and power
- Natural and spiritual body
First is born of Adam
- We have borne His image
- Natural body. Dust
- Earthly environment
- Fallen, Sinful
The second is born again in Christ
- We will BEAR His image
- Spiritual body
- Heavenly environment
- Forgiven, clean, righteous
A picture of Resurrection Day – vv. 50-57
The point is made. Now Paul gives the church a glorious picture of RESURRECTION DAY.
Royal Entry – v. 50
- We will enter the Kingdom of God in our spiritual bodies
Perfectly timed – vv. 51-52a
- In a moment
- Twinkling of an eye
- Gods’ perfect timing
- God’s redemptive timeline
- Matthew 24:29-31
Victorious – vv. 52b-55
- 1 Thess 4:13-18
- Dead to alive
- New body – not perishable
- Quoting Isaiah 25:8 7; Hosea 13:14
- SIN DEFEATED
- VICTORY IN JESUS
Closing words to the Church – v. 58
Because we are people who believe in the resurrection… We live with as a people of HOPE and PURPOSE.
- Steadfast – Firmly situated
- Immovable – unmoved in living out God’s Will
- Always Abounding– Exceeding the requirements
- In the work of the Lord
- His Work
- His Way
- His Power