My sermon notes for Wednesday night, July 13th. Remember, these are my personal study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. They are provided as an outline each week for our Tabernacle Church family. The church provides a live stream of the service each Wednesday at 6:30 on Facebook. We also provide the services through YouTube. You can find Sermon Notes, Family Devotional Guides, Prayer List, and other resources at our Church Website.
- Nehemiah is prayed up and put together a plan
- The city is in ruins and the people are in place.
- NOW THE WORK BEGINS.
- Rebuilding the wall
- Chapter 3 is a list of people and their assignments.
- At first glance you may not see the spiritual relevance for today.
- But it is a great lesson on the people of God doing the work of God.
- Lessons is serving with others
- Lessons in leading others.
- TRUE LEADERS ARE TRUE SERVANTS
The Why of the Work
From an Eternal Perspective – God’s Glory
2:17 – Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in, how Jerusalem lies in ruins with its gates burned. Come, let us build the wall of Jerusalem, that we may no longer suffer derision.” (ESV)
- The people had been judged
- They were shamed
 Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised
in the city of our God!
His holy mountain,  beautiful in elevation,
is the joy of all the earth,
Mount Zion, in the far north,
the city of the great King. (ESV)
1 Cor. 10:31 – The glory of the God!
From a Practical Perspective – Their safety and protection
Wall and the Gates
- Literally rebuilt
- Nothing new (no new program… get back to God’s original plan)
- Make strong
THE WHY OF THE WORK
- HIS GLORY
- THEIR BENEFIT (and others)
- The safety and security
The People of the Work
38 people are mentioned. Over 40 groups are mentioned
Many were faithful, but some were not
- v. 5 – The nobleman would not stoop to serve
- “Put their shoulders to the work”
- It was beneath them
- Tekoties – did more v. 5, 27
- Others also – vv. 11,19,21,24,24,27,30
Each had a section and task
- Do more together.
It is no different today… it takes ALL OF US
1 Corinthians 12 and 14
- The spiritual gifts
- Each one different, yet makes one
The Blessing of the Work
The wall was complete!
- Task finished
The strengthening of the people
- They came together
- Saw the hand of God
- The blessings of obedience
What about us today?
As we all serve, we know that it brings Glory and Honor to God.
As we all serve, we see others come to a growing faith in Jesus Christ
As we all continue to serve, we see the Kingdom continue to grow!