My sermon notes from Sunday, January 22nd as we continue our study through Titus. Remember, these are my study notes and not a manuscript of the sermon. To see the sermon each week please visit http://www.fbcap.net.
3 Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. 3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.
Verse 3 – Remind them of what?
Remind them TO LIVE AS PEOPLE OF GRACE.
- Chapter 2:11-15. Remember what Grace has done. Remember what we have in Christ.
- So, as we transition to chapter 3 we can see that this section is encouraging the life of good works that will come from understanding the true grace of God.
Let our life declare the Grace of God. Let us be PEOPLE OF GRACE
People of grace know:
People of Grace know how to live among others – vv. 1-2
Live as missional servants. BIBLICAL EVANGELISM
- Submissive (get to our spot)
- All of life is about getting our spot.
- Mark 10:45 – For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.
- Ready for every good work
- Speak evil of no one
- Avoid quarreling
- Be gentle
- Show perfect courtesy to all people
People of grace know what the Gospel has done – vv. 3-7
We ourselves were once….
- Foolish, disobedient, led astray, slave to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others, and hating one another. (Paul – 1 Tim. 1:15)
BUT, when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeard…
- He saved us by His goodness, love, kindness, & mercy
- We were washed from our sins
- Washed, cleansed.
- Renewed by the Spirit…poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ.
- Once and on-going
- Justified by His grace
- Accepted before His
- Heirs to the Father
- Future hope plus a current reality
People of grace know what they need to be about – v. 8
- Trustworthy saying (vv. 4-7)
- Insist on these things.
- Those that believed.
- May be careful to devote themselves
- To good works…..GOOD WORK=GRACE LIVING
THESE ARE EXCELLENT AND PROFITABLE FOR ALL PEOPLE